HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 pm 
big hucker

I've had a few people contact me and ask questions about rebuilding the older RockShox SID forks. I hope this thread will be a place I can provide some basic information and allow them the opportunity to ask any specific questions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As with most things, there is more than one way to do it. Even some of the RockShox manuals vary the procedure on how to fill and bleed the damper. Here are the two RS manuals that (when combined) provide a good guide for those new to the internals of this fork.

Link to the Dual Air Service Guide: https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxc99IsGY ... _Guide.pdf

Link to the Pure Service Guide: https://googledrive.com/host/0Bxc99IsGY ... eGuide.pdf

Be sure to read through these service guides a couple of times before starting.

Dual Air Service Guide: Steps 1-6 detail how to remove the lowers. If you decided to replace the wipers, now would be the time to do it. Heres a link on how I typically do it: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=194

Dual Air Service Guide: Steps 7-17 detail how to service the dual-air cartridge. If you've purchased the service kit, you'd use a small pick to replace all of the o-rings. The pick I have is plastic and normally used for AC repair.

Pure Service Guide: Steps 1-41 detail how to service the damper/lockout cartridge. Again, if you've purchased the service kit, replace the o-rings.

Dual Air Service Guide: Steps 18-27 detail how to re-install the lowers.

For the oil, you will need a good quality 5wt suspension oil for the damper (Pure service guide, step 22a). I typically substitute 75w-90 gear oil for the dual-air cartridge (Dual Air service guide, step 16) and 5w-20 oil for lubricating the lowers (Dual Air service guide, step 19).

RockShox calls for a special tool to remove the cartridge retainer baseplate; but, I have a way around that. The main drawback to my method is you can't use a torque wrench on it. The base plates are only torqued to 60 inch-pounds and 20 inch-pounds I believe (the service guides give the exact specs). If you've worked on cars before then I'm sure you could get within 10% by feel. Don't forget that RS made these things reverse-threaded just to piss you off. ;)

RockShox Threaded Baseplate Removal Tool - DIY: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=382

There's one other little trick I use to ensure a long, happy life for the negative air chamber. To encourage participation, I'm not going to post it here. If you want that tidbit, you'll need to simply register and post a request in this thread. :D I'll gladly send you a PM and share the details.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I'm always happy to help out with these forks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm 
lurkin' kitty

I'll gladly take any tips for extending the life of the negative air chamber in my sid forks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 pm 
big hucker

burtonbc wrote:
I'll gladly take any tips for extending the life of the negative air chamber in my sid forks.

PM sent. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
bad kitty!

I'd like to get in on the wisdom as well, as I would guess that little trick works on a Revelation Dual Air as well?

Magura :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 pm 
big hucker

Magura wrote:
I'd like to get in on the wisdom as well, as I would guess that little trick works on a Revelation Dual Air as well?

PM sent. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:14 am 
lurkin' kitty

I've read the manuals, ordered the RockShox SID '00-08 Classic Service Kit, 28mm and the enduro seal/wiper kit. Now I have to wait a couple of weeks for that stuff to get here. Meanwhile, will the SID Service kit contain all the o-rings etc for the Pure side rebuild too or do I need to order another kit for that? Also, I would like to sit at the feet of the master and learn the long life secret for the negative air chamber as offered above.

This looks like fun. (I'm sure the swearing starts when the little spring flies out and the oil squirts in my eye while the lowers drop on my flip flop clad toe). ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 pm 
big hucker

The SID service kit contains all o-rings for the air and the damper side. You'll end up with a lot of leftover rings. Just take your time and properly match up the ring before installing the new one (new will have the same thickness and ever-so-slightly smaller circumference).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:30 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Thanks for the o-ring info. I do have a set of picks, so should be able to remove/replace them as per instructions.
I have some Judy butter and some 5 wt shock oil but don't know what 'red rum' is. I notice you substitute a 75-90 wt gear oil (I hate the sulfur stink of that stuff so prefer not to use it if possible).
I saw a forum about re-anodizing stanchions. Do you think I should do that to these somewhat pitted ones, or just smooth 'em out as best I can with 1000 grit wet paper and call it good?
Thanks for you patience in dealing with a newby.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 pm 
big hucker

I use the synthetic gear oil. No stink. ;)

I'm not sure on the stanchions. I've never re-anodized anything. So, I'd vote for the wet sand (maybe even finer grit) if you do anything at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:46 am 
lurkin' kitty

Hi Marpilli, Thank you for the wonderfully prepared SID Team fork. What a beauty. Looking forward to riding it once installed.

I just received the pictured suspension tool kit. NOS for TREK, Klein and GF bikes. Truthfully, other than a slide hammer and a circlip pliers I don't know what to do with most of the items. I'm going to write TREK and see if they have instructions. I can figure out the bushing removal/setting process. Could have bought a nice steak, bought tools instead. :)

Now, I'm excited to get those rebuild kits so can start working on my old Team SID to make it streetable again.

Attachment:
0127151814a (2) TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg
0127151814a (2) TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg [ 305.38 KiB | Viewed 8032 times ]

Attachment:
0127151814a (2) TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg
0127151814a (2) TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg [ 305.38 KiB | Viewed 8032 times ]

Attachments:
0127151814  TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg
0127151814 TREK TOOLS RESIZED.jpg [ 407.44 KiB | Viewed 8032 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:09 am 
lurkin' kitty

Hi Marpilli, Well, as it turns out those tools are for TREK Mogul (and DDS) forks made for them by Showa, the intl shock company. The tech guys at TREK thought it was pretty cool to have a NOS set of those show up.
If you know anyone with those Moguls, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:47 am 
lurkin' kitty

Stumbled on this thread while rebuilding a 1999 SID SL. Hope I can get some answers since this is the first time I've messed around with a fork.

I've gotten everything apart and checked over the seal kit that I bought. The only thing that actually looks beat up is the topout bumper cone on the negative spring. Bumper looks dry rotted out and gross. Very deformed. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could use to replace? I looked to see if I could buy one but I couldn't find one. Coincidentally, this was the same side where the fork oil looked black and nasty. The damper side oil looked good as new.

I thought about swapping one of the bottom out bumpers for this one until i can come up with a better solution since to get to the bottom bumpers I don't actually have to pull the cartridges out, but that still leaves nasty dry rotting rubber to work it's way into the fork oil which I'd rather not do. Or do I just throw it all back together and say what the heck since this fork is 15 years old?

Also, I know thread is crazy old, but I'd take that advice on the negative air spring if you're still giving it out.

Tony

Attachments:
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 847.24 KiB | Viewed 7289 times ]
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 743.8 KiB | Viewed 7289 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 am 
lurkin' kitty

Finished up my rebuild / service on a 1999 SID SL and this is the closest thread that I could find for that old fork.

When I got it apart, I found that the topout bumper was really gross, deformed, and dry rotted. I couldn't find a replacement for it so I swapped it for the bumpers on the bottom of the cartridges since there is a bumper on the opposite side of the fork to kind of assist if I bottomed out the suspension. Plus I don't have to take off the cartridges again if I can find a replacement. That does assume that all three of the bumpers are the same size, which they looked to be on the parts diagram I was looking at. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for these anywhere? My LBS looked at me like I was crazy when I went in there with that antique.

I'm not super worried about it. The fork is all back together now and it seems to be working alright, especially in my 2 mile bike ride to work every day.

I'll take the advice on the negative air chambers as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:35 am 
friendly kitty

Magura wrote:

Woah thread-dredge! I'm having issued with the negative air chamber in my 2008-ish Revelation as well. Psyching myself up for that upcoming service and wanting to know if that little trick is still being handed around? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:33 am 
big hucker

triplethreat311 wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for what I could use to replace?

I've not seen them for sale anywhere. I bet I have a few spares in the garage parts bin. Are you located within the US? If so, I'll dig around tomorrow and see if I can find one. I'll ship it out to you free of charge. :)

triplethreat311 wrote:
I'll take the advice on the negative air chambers as well.

Sending PM...

Bro1245 wrote:
Woah thread-dredge! I'm having issued with the negative air chamber in my 2008-ish Revelation as well. Psyching myself up for that upcoming service and wanting to know if that little trick is still being handed around? :D

Sending PM...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:51 pm 
lurkin' kitty

This is a great thread drudge! I'm just getting back into riding after about a 9 year hiatus (work, kids, etc...) Bike technology has changed so much since then, so it's hard to get good advice on any of this old stuff. Happy I found this Forum. Thanks for all the advice!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:59 pm 
big hucker

Glad this helps. Let me dig and see if I can find some of those bumpers...

Quote:
Do you know where I can just buy the crush washers for the bottom of the fork? I torqued to the right specifications, but it looked like those things are a one time use (I saw little pieces of plastic shredding out from the washer).

I buy the crush washers and the crush washer retainers in bulk. I think the last bag I bought was like 50 each. They're a good investment if you plan on doing any maintenance (or helping others) because they've worked on all SID forks (99+) and all Reba forks (2002+) that I've serviced.

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Crush-Wa ... B003UWE9FC
http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-8mm-Crus ... B004LGKD2Y

Might be able to find them cheaper on ebay, Niagara Cycle, etc. If I find the bumpers, I'll toss a few extra in the

Quote:
Also, any idea where to buy the valve stems individually as well? There were only 2 that came in the rebuild pack, and there are 3 valve stems. It's all holding air now, but there is one of the stems that is difficult to fill the air on.

I think you're referring to the schrader valve stem core? If so, there's nothing special about the cores on the fork. You can go to any automotive store (or automotive department of a big box store) and pick up a package of schrader valve cores. Pick up a tool to remove/replace them while you're there. ;)

Quote:
As far as the negative coil maintenance, can I use regular fork oil instead? I used 15W RS oil for the rest of the build. Interesting enough, this year fork didn't call for oil in the positive chamber at all. It only called for 10cc of 15W RS oil poured in the bottom of the fork legs before torquing everything down. Do you think that I should throw a couple cc's in the positive chamber as well as your recommendation on the negative air chamber? I also used slick honey instead of judy butter to lube all of the seals during assembly. Any issues with that?

I typically use a heavier gear oil in the positive and negative air chambers. But, anything is better than nothing. The o-rings are a marginal solution at best and letting them rub dry against the inside of the chamber is just crazy (in my uneducated opinion :D). I've used judy butter in the past and just recently switched over to slick honey because my source of judy butter ran dry. So far, so good. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:05 am 
lurkin' kitty

I think I have a 2002 SID Race (ser # 35 U2 1027). It's never been serviced. A few years ago it dumped its oil on the garage floor.

I'm looking to rebuild it. Would love to hear your tips for making it run a long time. Thanks for your documentation!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 pm 
big hucker

hoagy wrote:
I think I have a 2002 SID Race (ser # 35 U2 1027). It's never been serviced. A few years ago it dumped its oil on the garage floor.

I'm looking to rebuild it. Would love to hear your tips for making it run a long time. Thanks for your documentation!

hoagy, welcome! I'll send you a PM in a moment...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:34 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Hi,

I recently picked up a very cool ibis silk ti with a 2001 SIDney (special version of SID made for 2000 Olympic riders & 500 released for public consumption). There's very little info out there on this shock & its in need of an overhaul. I can't justify the $200 I've been quoted by a shop, so time to dig in & do it myself.

I came across this awesome posting while looking for information on the process, special tool, etc and really appreciate what you've done here!

If you are still monitoring the post, would love to receive your wisdom on the negative chamber.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Hi,

I came across this post while researching the overhaul process, removal tool, etc for a 2001 SIDney (special variant made for 2000 Olympics of which 500 were released later to the general public). It is very difficult to find much info on these forks or any of the older SID's, in general.

Thank you for this awesome post. The links to the google docs no longer work, are they available anywhere else?

Would love to receive your insights on the negative chamber too!

Thanks,

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 pm 
lurkin' kitty

I'll take the helpful hint on the negative air improvement. Please! Have a couple of 2004 World Cup SID forks I am rebuilding. Thanks much!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am 
lurkin' kitty

Would love to receive your tips on the negative chamber. Thx, Duffy