HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:25 am 
lurkin' kitty

Thanks VERY much to members that have posted so many great bits of information and pictures! I'm working on a fox f29 fork with a broken damper rod (never would have figured out how to best take it apart without all the great info!). As I suspect is common, the two little tabs on the bottom / piston end of the damper rod are broken off so it just turns freely without raising or lowering anything.

How have others repaired this? I'm tempted to make a small sleeve to put around the joint and either pin or bond it together in some fashion. Or I could perhaps try and cut both sides of the shaft further in to leave new tabs, but this would change the thread depth and perhaps create other problems.

Note that I have some training as a machinist and gunsmith, and have a mini lathe as well as all sorts of various other things to the point where I can probably make something if need be. Just trying to figure out the best way to firmly attach the lower end of the rod so it'll turn / raise / lower what it is supposed to without spending too much time or money doing it.

Any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:07 pm 
lil' hucker

Welcome wca_tim..........

Shoot a PM to Marpilli. He is the Master. :dance:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:34 am 
big hucker

wca_tim wrote:
Note that I have some training as a machinist and gunsmith, and have a mini lathe as well as all sorts of various other things to the point where I can probably make something if need be. Just trying to figure out the best way to firmly attach the lower end of the rod so it'll turn / raise / lower what it is supposed to without spending too much time or money doing it.

Dude, you already have me waaay out-skilled. :lol:

Can you post a pic of the broken part? We could probably throw a couple of guesses at you. However, I suspect you'll come up with the best answer. I really would like to see any work around you discover. I'm sure it would benefit others, also. :)