HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lefty woes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm 
friendly kitty

So on my Rize 2 Carbon, 2010 model, I have a Lefty Max Carbon 130. First time I had it serviced C'dale were nice enough to replace the internals with all upgraded stuff, Poplock etc, FOC and sent it back. Second time they did something with some metal replacement parts that were supposed to upgrade, and it cost around 200 bucks. Third time was a reseal and it was only a hundred or so. This time, they want 900 bucks for a rebuild without even seeing the thing, when it seems to me it should only be another reseal! (Oil weeping)... WTF!!??!!
I want to go beat them about their heads with it, and I will never pay that much for a service. They also said this would be the last time they would rebuild it... Nope. Wrong. The last time was the last time.

Anyone had any similar experience with these clowns? I love the Lefty, but this is a joke...

Post subject: Re: Lefty woes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:51 pm 
friendly kitty

Try asking MendonCycleSmith on EB, he's the Lefty dude.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:48 pm 
yappin' kitty

he's got a website!

http://www.mendoncyclesmith.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:04 pm 
bad kitty!

Or go DIY
Loads of people do their own Lefty service.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:12 pm 
friendly kitty

MCS was the guy who I was going to try next. My LBS in the meantime is trying a local guy they know, and if that fails I was going in there myself. I have been looking around for parts for this model, but it seems they are like rocking horse shit...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 pm 
pussy

Now you know why I like C'dale so much. When I see what my friends pay for trivial parts...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:08 pm 
friendly kitty

I got the lefty back from my LBS and will be sending it to Craig at MCS Monday. He's a good guy... I used to chat with him when I frequented EB, and thought he was an OK guy then. His service starts at 60 bucks. Let's see if he can beat the $900 offered by the C'dale sharks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am 
friendly kitty

Lefty's been in to Craig at MCS, and he just emailed to say it is all done and en route back to me after 5 days. New boot, bearings, seals and upgrade to Solo Air for $148. Cannondale can suck my bloater...

Thanks Craig! I heartily recommend this service to anyone!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 am 
pussy

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 am 
friendly kitty

Should have the C'dale back together today... hopefully will get out to test ride it later... watch this space!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 am 
friendly kitty

Argh! Got the bike back together, but the shock did not do what it should. Contacted Craig yesterday, and he got back immediately with a probable cause. Said that it was most probably a little grease that had got onto the lower piston causing my issues. It would drop all the way into its travel unexpectedly, and then when pumped a few times on the bars, would firm up, but not all the way. He said he would pay for my LBS to pull the damper and clean off the grease, or I could send it back and he would turn it around in a day. Apparently this is a very new issue with the 2016 Leftys that has only just come up, and rarely. Seems my woes continue a while! My LBS might not be comfortable doing this. Sheesh, I'd do it if I had the tool to pull the damper...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 am 
bad kitty!

Now the boring part of me thinks:
Why doesn't he just buy that tool?

Magura ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:24 pm 
friendly kitty

Thinking about it, but they are not easily available as far as I can find out, and with the issues I am already having, adding my hamfistedness may be unwise! Seems these things are super sensitive to a minute trace of residual grease, unlike previous versions that loved the stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 pm 
friendly kitty

The one shop I started at took 4 days to come back and tell me they were not comfortable doing this, so I took it into another place an hour away with email instructions from Craig at MCS as to how to do the job. They just called to say it's done! No problemo... Picking it up Monday, so I'll see if it's all good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:04 am 
bad kitty!

Hmm, a pity that a Lefty is that much trouble.
Would have loved one on my MTB.

Do tell how this panned out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:45 am 
friendly kitty

Will do. I think part of the problem is that C'dale have so many different versions of these now, it is hard for some people to keep up. Mine was an original part on the bike when I got it, a Max Carbon 130mm, light and good. My first service, I found that it had to go back to the factory as the shops here were unwilling to go in there. It was a quick turnaround, and C'dale did a full service and upgraded the internals to the PBR for me. Cost was reasonable. Then I found that it did need servicing approx each year, when oil would start the dreaded weep, but most any fork needs a service each year to keep em tip top if used hard. I use mine hard. Difference is that with the Lefty, you HAVE to get it done right away, whereas with a Fox you could eke out a few more rides if you wanted, just with degraded performance. After I think 4 services, with internal upgrades each time, C'dale decided this Lefty had reached its useful lifespan, and dictated I needed to spend the $900 to rebuild it. I may as well get a new one for that, which is what they are trying to get me to do. I do NOT want to drop that much dough into it tho, and as long as Craig at MCS is able to keep servicing it, I will continue to use it. I do love the thing, it is a great ride, lightweight, and responsive in all terrain I ride here. I have found that you do have to stay on top of the maintenance tho.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:49 am 
yappin' kitty

Magura wrote:
Or go DIY
Loads of people do their own Lefty service.

Do tell. What tools and/or resources are out there for the Lefty folk? All I've ever heard is that you always need to have it "serviced by a professional".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:02 am 
bad kitty!

Most of it is in the owners manual or some of the additions to the owners manual.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:06 pm 
friendly kitty

They seem to have ongoing and frequent upgrades to the internals, so you do need to stay on top of what's in there if it has been back to the factory for a service. Last time around, Craig at MCS put in a 2016 Solo Air cartridge, changed out the seals and bearings, and put a new boot on. If you were going to do this yourself you need to make sure you can get the right replacement parts, and you'll need a damper pull tool and a Shimano wrench for the lower stem nut. Personally I'll keep sending it in to Craig!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:49 pm 
friendly kitty

Got the bike back and took it out for a quick shakedown this morning. Happy to say it is now working just fiiiiine :)
Tight, taut, and supple... just like a good woman :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 am 
bad kitty!

Finally.
Enjoy!