HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2002 SID Race Carbon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 am 
big hucker

In order to fund my un-explainable desire to upgrade the frame on my geared bike, I'm going to pull a couple of SID forks off of the wall to refurbish and sell on eBay. I plan to put a link in the ad back to this thread so the potential bidder can see exactly what they're bidding on and what's been done to it. And, we'll draw in another 'guest'. Who knows? Maybe they'll join in the fun. ;)

Starting on the 2002 SID Race Carbon (electric blue) tonight. Will post pics as I go along...

Post subject: Re: 2002 SID Race Carbon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 am 
big hucker

Da fork...

Da fork disassembled...

New stuff that will go into da fork...

I'm cleaning out the lowers and stanchions tomorrow. Will replace seals and take a bunch of pics before reassembly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 am 
lil' hucker

Enduro Fork Seals...nice!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 am 
big hucker

Thank you. If I'm gonna do it, might as well do it right. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:16 am 
big hucker

Tonight I cleaned up everything real nice and replaced all o-rings and the seals. Click any pic in this post to view a higher resolution version.

360* view of the stanchions.

Image Image Image Image

Serviced the dual-air pistons.

Serviced the rebound damper and lockout.

Installed the Enduro seals and wipers.

Image Image Image

Tomorrow I'll reassemble.

I plan on overhauling a 2002 SID SL next and installing a spare carbon steerer on it, also. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:19 am 
stealth kitty

Great job! MOAR PLS!

-S

mmm bacon.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Shibiwan/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:03 am 
big hucker

Clicking on any photo in this post will open a higher resolution version of the photo.

Adding fluid to the damper/lock-out cartridge.

Image Image

The final step in properly setting up the lockout is to drop in a rod and let it slowly sink into place. I know it may sound dumb, but it's my favorite part of the rebuild. Watching that rod slowly sink into the lock out assembly. :ugeek: I'll take a small video of it when I rebuild the SID SL. ;)

Legs in the air! Ready for the lowers. Ignore the messy garage. That section is the kids area. :D

All done! I still think these forks are beautiful and they work great if you're a lighter or younger rider. I'll weigh it after final cleanup.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 am 
pussy

We have another nice guide for the main site! Well done Marpilli, a very fine job as usual! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 am 
big hucker

Thank you. It's not a "full" how-to. But, it might serve as a nice supplement to the manuals (which I can provide if anyone is interested).

Just started on the 2002 SID SL rebuild. I already have all of the tools out. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 pm 
big hucker

Weighed it today: 1,300 grams. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 am 
big hucker

Final pics to use on the eBay listing... Each contains a hyperlink to a higher resolution photo..

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:04 am 
big hucker

Welcome eBay visitors!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. While you're here, take a moment to browse around the rest of the forum and enjoy your visit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 am 
lurkin' kitty

Nice post and nice fork. I just had to rebuild a Sid World Cup today and the pictures helped! Also found this service guide that was a big help to guide through the process:
http://www.birota.ru/manuals/rockshox/s ... eGuide.pdf

It says 03-04, but has instructions for 2002 model with same innards as well. (multiple different dampings systems are included, follow the blackbox instructions)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 am 
big hucker

dcluley, welcome to HK!

Thanks for the feedback. You're right that there isn't much difference in the internals between the 2002 and the 03-04 models. I think the main change was the design of the lowers.

In case you or anyone else is interested, here are the 2002 Dual Air and 2002 Pure damper service guides.

http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/2002%20 ... 0guide.pdf

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/rockshox/s ... eGuide.pdf

Here's the million dollar question: Did your fork use snap rings or the threaded base plates to hold the internals inside the stanchions? If it was the threaded base plates, I want to hear what trick you used to remove them. I haven't posted my method on HK, yet. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 am 
lurkin' kitty

Hi--I just joined an hour or so ago in order to ask a question. I am in the process of srevicing/rebuilding a Sid Race Carbon. I am the original owner--it was purchased in 2002. I used the fork for a couple of seasons and then switched to my Marzzochi which had longer travel and was more suited to the trails I was riding. The 'Bomber' eventually ended up on another MTB I built, and I put a rigid carbon fork on the bike the Sid had been on.
Now I want to start using the Sid fork once again. I just ordered (through a bike shop) a new Sid 'rebound damper seal head', as the old one had been problematic out of the box, and now was not working at all. I also ordered the o-ring service kit just to have the parts. There is one other part that has some damage, and that is the subject of my question.
The part in question is the threaded base plate on the dual air side (left) of the fork. When originally working on the fork I forgot it was reverse threaded, and partially damaged the socket which the threaded base plate tool goes into. After that every time I took it out the stripping got a little worse. Today I managed to remove it, but with a fair bit of difficulty. So, I would like to replace that part. I do have a new threaded base plate like that found on the bottom of the right hand lower, but the damaged base plate and the 'negative air shaft' appear to be one piece. Would it be possible to remove/tap the base plate off of the negative air shaft, or are they bonded permanently together? It does not look as though are meant to come apart, although I had thought from previous teardowns (years ago now) that the base plate and tube were two separate pieces.
I did find that I could remove or replace the base place and shaft by gripping the base plate on the bottom perimeter with needle nose pliers, but this is not an ideal situation--and I think getting proper tightness will be difficult using this method as well.
Would anyone know where I could get a replacement part i.e. threaded base plate/dual air tube for my fork. I spoke to RockShox today, but the tech was very unhelpful. He was unwilling to provide me with a part #, and finally just said "we don't have those anymore." Any help on where I could find this part would be much appreciated. I am aware of 'Hippie Tech Suspension', but have been told that they will not sell parts, but rather that you have to send your fork to them and pay for parts and service. And also, I have called their number several times but never got an answer, or a callback. Thanks for any help in advance. I am really looking forward to getting this fork back on my bike--sorry for the length of my post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:41 am 
big hucker

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you made it here under those circumstances, though. I think I understand what you're describing and it doesn't sound good...

The threaded base plate on the damper side is a single reverse threaded cap that is not attached to anything. From what I can tell, it is described as "SID Dual Air Base Plate Retainer - pn 11.4307.584.000.

But, the threaded base plate on the dual-air side is actually part of the negative air spring. After searching around, it appears that base plate (attached to the negative air spring) isn't a separate item in any of the RockShox service guides. It's shown as part of the "SID Dual/Air Spring Assembly" - pn 11.4305.587.000.

I can only find one place that says they have that part number in stock: http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/pf7c7 ... alAir.html (search for 11.4305.587.000).

Here's another site (out of stock) that has a good photo of the entire assembly: http://hawleyusa.com/thcStore/Catalog/I ... =FORK80222

If you're not in any hurry, your best bet is to hang it back up on the wall and keep an eye out on eBay and PinkBike classifieds for a 2001-2005 SID that "leaks air" or shows stanchion damage in the photos. I've been able to snag a couple like that for less than $75 and used the internals to refurbish some of the SID forks I'm using right now. Normally all the internals need are new seals.

Where (about) are you located? If you're in a large metroplex maybe searching craigslist might be an option. I'll certainly keep an eye out and let you know if I find something.

Can you post up a pic of the damage? Maybe someone here can chime in with a suggestion on how to modify it so you can get bit more life out of it while looking for a replacement.

EDIT: Just found one in-stock in the US (good price, too), sending you the link via PM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:48 am 
lurkin' kitty

Hey--thanks a lot for the help. Looks like you're a real night owl like me--2:45 in the a.m. here. I actually found that part as well about a half hour ago by googling 'Sid negative air shaft'--for about the same price. Are you 100% certain that this is the correct part? I did a partial visual comparison ( could only see the end of the shaft with the valve sticking out from the base plate on my fork) but felt pretty strongly that it is the right part. But I didn't know for sure if that part we found online was for a 28 or 32 mm Sid. I don't even know if the newer forks use that system any more--probably not. I was going to phone RS tech line on Monday with that part number. Can you verify with certainty that it is the identical part found in the 2002 Sid Race Carbon?

Re location--I am about as opposite of an urban setting as it gets. When installing Windows I named my computer 'LostInTheWoods' and that pretty much sums it up. Rural east coast Canada.--kind of depressed economically, but really beautiful country. wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

It is getting a bit pricey getting this fork up and running--I spent $75. w/shipping for the rebound damper seal head, and the service kit. I work as a visual artist, and $$ are pretty tight most of the time (also do bike repair on the side). I actually had the same thought to find an old Sid on Ebay for parts. But so far I have only seen forks in good condition that were selling for too much. And waiting is a bit risky as these parts are disappearing. Anyways, I will probably pick up the new part as I don't like having to work on mine in it''s damaged state. I have been wondering about what kind of method I could improvise to remove and replace the base plate, as besides the stripped base plate the part works fine.

The fork is going on a bike that I built several years ago, and have upgraded over time. The frame is a Mongoose 'Triomphe' Pro--a titanium frame made by Ti Sport (hand built in the U.S.A.)--rock solid frame using straight gauge tubes I think. I got that frame from 'Mongoose' back in 2001 on a warranty claim on a chromoly frame with a broken downtube, and paid them $300. to trade up to the Ti frame. :D Other parts include XTR hydraulic brake/shift levers, brakes/rotors, r. Der., and hubset--all STM965. Bought the XTR stuff around 3 years ago on Ebay NIB for about half of retail. Chris King headset, Thomson Elite seat post and stem, Selle Italia Flite TT saddle, Stans NoTubes Olympic ZTR rims w/DT Swiss spokes, Maxxis 430 Wormdrive tires, Race Face Deus XC crankset (26-36-48 rings), Ultegra casette, Xpedo ti pedals, Titec Ti handlebar. With my rigid carbon fork it is about 20 lbs.give or take a couple of oz. (not sure of exact weight)--used for both road and trail.

Anyways, sorry for another long winded post--I live in the woods like a recluse with my two Kuvasz dogs so maybe you can cut me a bit of slack--ha ha. Thanks again for your helpful efforts--I guess your feeling is the same as my own that it would be best to replace that part. My main worry is that after spending all of this I will have something else go bad like the lockout system, or god forbid, a cracked steerer.

One last question--I got the same service Kit that you showed in this thread. I found upon inspection that one of the conical bumpers on the bottom of the shafts (bottom out bumpers??) was damaged. Does that kit include a set of those? Also, I am considering to order some Enduro seals from RWC. RockShox tech said they would scratch the stanchions. My fork had the CSU replaced with a later year model with the 'slippery silver' stanchions (are you familiar with them--2004 or 2005 World Cup I think) because of a crack in the original carbon steerer (all covered under warranty). Any issues there with the slippery silver tubes I am using, and the Enduro seals? Thanks again.

Last edited by DiGiTaLdAzE on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 pm 
big hucker

You're certainly welcome. I've never ordered that part so I cannot guarantee it's the correct one. However, the description does say:
Quote:
Fits: RockShox SID
Fits: RockShox 28mm SID
Unit of Sale: Each
Year: 99-08

I just noticed that Niagara Cycle Works also say they have them in stock. I've ordered from NCW several times in the past and they've been very helpful. I'd suggest sending them an email and ask about their return policy on something like this. Best case is the part works great. Worst case is it's returned (minus shipping).

There are a few other Canadians running around here on HK. ;) Come over to the introductions thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28) and say "hi!".

Regarding the costs, I do have to agree with you... Sometimes restoring an older part can get expensive. That's one reason I kept picking up used, broken SID forks whenever I had the chance. Although I still can't get my wife to believe it's a good idea. ;)

That bike sounds bad-ass. :D I've always wanted a titanium frame MTB. Post up a pic or two during the build process. I'm sure others would also be interested in seeing it.

I've replaced the seals on all of my SID forks with the Enduro seals. No issues. Stanchions can get worn when the splash oil becomes low (or dirty) and/or the bushings become worn. I've seen other threads where people have blamed Enduro seals for scratching their Fox forks. But, when you look at the pics the stanchion wear has the same pattern as the bushings. :) That's not the seals... If you take care of them the forks will last a lifetime.

A couple of the forks I've owned didn't have conical bottom out bumpers (SID Race, I believe). Yep, if you look on the 2003-2004 SID exploded diagram (http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/2003-20 ... %20spc.pdf - on page 13) the conical bumpers aren't even shown. On those forks they had flat rubber bottom out bumpers in the bottom of the fork lowers (SID/Pilot/Judy Bottom Out Bumper Kit (Qty 2) 11.4308.306.002 on that diagram). Every RS SID (28mm) rebuild kit I've purchased had two of the flat bottom out bumpers included. I probably have 6-8 spars in my parts box in the garage. If yours doesn't come with them, let me know and I'll send you a couple in the mail. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:23 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Yes--the Ti bike I built is a nice ride--very lightweight, yet very durable as well. And pretty nice eye candy. :drool: Not something I could have afforded--I just lucked out when 'Mongoose' agreed to let me trade up for a quarter of it's normal value. They were no longer building ti frame bikes by that point (2001) but still had some of the frames in stock. Those frames normally sold for around $1100.-1200 Through Ti-Sport the manufacturer. They get very good reviews as well. They were marketed by 'Mongoose' on their line of ti frame bikes (before they were acquired by 'Pacific Cycles')--the 'Triomphe Pro' was their flagship model. I found the ti frame took a bit of a learning curve, as it is a bit more springy in the rear than the steel was--mainly have to keep your weight back on rough descents. Always a good plan anyways. I did suffer a 3rd degree shoulder separation on a very gnarly descent shortly after building that bike :shock: --but it could have happened on my previous ride as well as it is one of the worst hills in my area. I avoid it now--lol. I actually really liked the steel frame--it had a very forgiving ride. If I were building another mtb I would probably pick up a quality steel frame. Not meaning as a replacement though--I will likely never part with the ti frame. Re a few pics--my digital camera is broken, and so all I have is my Ipod. I will have a friend take a few shots of the ti frame build, and post them here or in a new thread when I can. I will probably wait until I get my Sid installed.

Niagra Cycle Works is where I found that part as well--also available at 'Online Bikes'. I have not dealt with either of them. I will give RockShox a call on Monday. If the say it is the right part I will probably order it up. I started doing some searching and found some other parts that look compatible with that fork. Here a couple of them--it would help if these sellers would give the RS part #:
http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-SID-Moti ... p_t_4_KWNG
http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-138416-P ... p_t_3_DCWN

One thing that confuses me--some of these say for 28mm Sid and then include the 2008 model year. One RockShox tech told there were no 28mm Sids in 2008--I am starting to think that both 28 mm and 32 mm Sids were issued that year. Do you know if some Sids from 2008 were still using 28mm stanchions?

I agree with you that the Sid Race Carbon is a beautiful fork. I had always wanted a Sid, but the bling factor was definitely a part of my purchasing decision. I used it for maybe 3 seasons, and then went back to my Bomber. It was so expensive that I would like to keep the Sid in service for many years to come. I have an extra set of lowers, so bushings should not be an issue for a good while.Any improvements (besides the move to 32 mm) that the newer forks have I suspect are pretty inconsequential. I found the ride quality of the Sid to be excellent when properly set up.

The issue I had with the rebound was that out of the box the rebound adjuster knob was skipping. Eventually it got to where it did nothing at all--stripped inside I guess. I tried a repair to no avail. It was stuck on it's slowest setting so I had to get a new one. Damaging the steerer is the big worry with those forks--that is why I run the Thomson stem. They are supposed to be a safe setup for carbon steer tubes. I think they are to be torqued to 48 inch pounds--I will be giving Thomson a call to double check on that.

Re the bottom out bumpers--I will ask RS if I can use the flat ones. If not I might take you up on your offer. If I need a replacement, and cannot find it locally, I will send you a U.S. address where I get all my U.S. purchases sent. I live only 20 miles from the Maine border. Out for now, and thanks a lot for the help.

Last edited by DiGiTaLdAzE on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 pm 
big hucker

Glad I could help out a bit.

Regarding that skipping rebound knob, they're notoriously hard to turn on some of the SID forks. The 2001-02 forks came with a short rebound adjuster knob and the newer forks came with a longer knob (I suspect because people were complaining about how hard it was to turn them). I've also seen skipping happen when the damper shaft nut (on the bottom) is torqued higher than specified. Be sure to follow steps 21-23 detailed here and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
lurkin' kitty

I actually took the lowers off and inserted the adjuster knob in that way before ordering the part. I thought maybe the knob was not properly engaging the fitting from the outside. I just tried it again--the knob just spins around and around in either direction with no resistance at all. When new it did work, but would also skip--sometimes repeatedly--as one would experience with a stripped fitting. And it just got worse with time. I just assumed that the fitting must have been defective and eventually just failed completely. If they are hard to turn on some forks is it because the female part is sticky or even becomes seized? If so I could see how it could easily become stripped i.e.metal knob on plastic inside part. I tested the adjuster knob on my Lock-Jaws grips which also use a 2.5 mm. hex key. The knob was nice and tight in them. Does that still sound like perhaps just a stubborn rather than defective/stripped fitting inside the rebound damper rod? At one point I tried filing down a 3 mm. hex key to see if it would work--give a bit snugger fit. It didn't help. Perhaps as the internal part is plastic (I didn't know that at the time} it might have made matters worse. If it could be turned the mechanism would probably work 100%--sigh. The new one better work right or I'm gonna be steamed :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:23 am 
big hucker

Certainly sounds like something stripped or broke loose internally. I don't think I've seen an exploded diagram of the rebound circuit before so I'm not sure what's inside. If I come across a bad one I'll certainly disassemble it and post up pics of the dissection. ;)

I'm really interested in what SRAM has to say about the dual air spring part number and the conical v.s. flat bottom out bumpers. If you don't mind, post up what they tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:11 pm 
lurkin' kitty

I just got off the phone with RockShox tech. I got the same guy as last week who told me they didn't have that part in stock. Well, it turns out they do still have it. Initially he didn't want to offer more than an educated guess that it was the part I need. I pressed him further, and after a bit more digging he said he was certain that it was the correct part for a 2002 Sid dual air fork. So, I am going to get the bike shop I am dealing with to check it out and quote me a price--maybe they will beat the online price.

Re the bottom out bumpers--the tech guy said that when I get the kit to do a visual comparison between the flat ones and the conical ones. He felt that if the flat ones had the same depth and diameter as the conical ones they would be okay. I'm thinking that the conical ones are meant to mate with that same shape in the bottom of the lower and so the flat ones might not sink down as far. They do have a replacement part which includes just the conical bumpers in stock--11.4308.306.002. If I get the shop to order me the dual air spring assembly I will also order up a set of those as well.

BTW--I agree with your favorite part of the service process--watching that little rod slowly sink into the oil is pretty cool, and also indicates you are almost done! 8-) I found servicing those forks a messy job--a bit of a pain tbh. One other thing--for service I have 5 wt. oil, and 'Red Rum'. I noticed that you were also using 'Judy Butter'. Is some kind of grease a good idea, and if so on what parts? The RS guy said 'PM600' waterproof grease could be used in place of Judy Butter, and I think mentioned putting some on a spring--maybe that big one in the Lock Out assembly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm 
big hucker

I'm laughing about the damper bleeding process (watching the rod drop). :lol: I remember the first time I serviced a SID I didn't properly bleed out all the air and the damper quit locking out (got progressively worse) a few weeks later. The last time I service a SID for my personal use was about a year ago and the lockout still works great.. Live and learn... :)

I know the conical bumpers are not as wide as the flat bumpers. And, I'm fairly sure they're not as tall as the flat bumpers. Interesting that they gave you part number 11.4308.306.002 for the conical bumpers as that's the same part number I've seen shown next to the flat bumpers (see my post a few days back in this thread).

The 5wt fork oil is used for the splash lube (and damper) and the 15wt oil (or redrum) is used for the dual air side. On these forks you can use a synthetic motor oil for the splash lube and a heavy weight gear oil for the dual air chamber (see post here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=375&p=9553#p9553).

Before I did the first SID overhaul, I read a bunch of how-to service guides and I kept seeing a reference to lightly coating the o-rings with Judy Butter when installing them. So, I bought some and used it. :) If you do a quick google search you'll find people recommending several alternatives to Judy Butter - various waterproof greases and slickoleum are two I've seen often. I can't say if it helps (I've never serviced a SID without using it). But, it doesn't seem to hurt. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Well--good news re my fork. I was wondering what I could improvise to be able to remove and replace the dual air spring. I wondered if drilling two small holes in the bottom of the base plate (not all the way through) and using a Park SPA6 adjustable pin spanner in those holes might work. I clamped the air shaft tube in a set of soft jaws and tested the surface with a small drill bit. I was having trouble keeping it steady so only made a small mark on the surface before I stopped. Then I got an idea--I remembered your picture of using a (15mm?) nut in the base plate. So I found a nut in my shop (one without the lip) and tried it. I think it might have been a standard size--between a 15 and 16 mm maybe. It was a bit tight and had to be forced into the base plate. So I found a few other nuts and one of them fit adequately. After smoothing the surface of the base plate with a flat file (it had a few metal burs around the edges of the central socket) I used a Park 15 mm cone wrench to grip the bit of the nut that protruded from the base plate and successfully tightened and loosened the base plate a few times with no slippage. :D Very slick--made the procedure so much easier. I found that regular type of nut is a bit easier to use than one of those bicycle axle nuts (which I also tried) when used in conjunction with the cone wrench.
So after all that I tried the RockShox base plate removal tool--and it slipped right away as usual! I now think it was a part of the problem. :x No doubt my base plate is a bit stripped, but that tool is clumsy to use IMO. It's design coupled with the shallow depth of the base plate hole makes it's use awkward. It is difficult to keep straight in the base plate socket. Anyways, I am now wondering if I should order the dual air shaft assembly ($46. w/free ship) as a spare while they are still available. The LBS wanted $75.--when I told them about the online price they went down to $50. :roll: To your knowledge are those dual air spring assemblies very prone to problems? Anyways, what I am going to do before ordering any more parts is service the fork first as is (with the new rebound damper installed of course) and ride it a bit to be sure there are not any other issues.
One RockShox tech told me this morning that the bumpers were in stock, but when the LBS called they were told they are not in stock. Let me know if you could still send me those bumpers--if so I will send you a PM with an address to ship them to. I am wondering if I might need that base plate removal tool for anything else (I do bike repair for $$ every spring/summer)--if I decide not I would be willing to send to you if you want it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
big hucker

I've never owned the official tool as the improvised method has worked very well for me. And, if that base plate removal tool stripped out your base plates, then I sure as heck don't want it. :lol: Go to your nearest bridge and throw it as far as you can! :D

I've never had any problems with the dual air shaft other than the seals needing to be replaced. Overall, the 2002-06 era SID has been very reliable for me and I'm sure I'll always have at least one in service.

It would be my pleasure to send you a couple of the flat bumpers. I'll add in some Hucking Kitty stickers, also. :) PM over that address and I'll drop it in the mail within a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Thanks--the bumpers I would need are the conical shaped ones. I have the service kit in one of your pics on the way--I think it has a set of the flat ones doesn't it? But as you were saying, they are not the same dimensions as those conical ones in the Sid race Carbon. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:36 am 
big hucker

Both SID race forks I've owned had the flat bumpers installed. I'd use the flat bumpers and enjoy the extra 1.5mm of travel. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:35 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Yeah--maybe then I can ride that gnarly hill again with that extra plushness. :lol: Those flat bumpers are also a fair bit wider than the bumpers on my fork. However, the small parts catalog for 03-04 Sid does show the flat ones in the exploded view. But if you google the 03-04 sid service guide you will see the conical ones on the bottom off the shafts. If the flat ones will fit in the bottom of my lowers I could give them a shot, but am thinking I could still use the conical one that is damaged as it is just a few mm. less thick on one side. But it still has enough thickness left to stop any harsh bottoming.

Another question--in the service guide it says to fill the pure tube with 15wt. oil. I don't have any, and can't recall ever using any in the past. I have 5wt. oil, and red rum. Did you use 15wt. oil during your maintenance of the fork? It does say for faster rebound a 5 0r 10 wt. oil can be used--but it seems that 15wt. is the standard setup. Do you know how much it takes to fill that tube? I am thinking maybe 4 oz.? I can order a liter of RockShox 15wt. fork oil for $20.

Re grease--RS tech said if the service manual does not mention it then don't use it. I don't have any recommended type on hand, so will probably skip that. I do have Finish Line Teflon grease but RS said not to use that. if I get Judy Butter or RS PM600 in the future I may try it.

Last edited by DiGiTaLdAzE on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:19 pm 
big hucker

I use Torco RFF 7 in my SID dampers. It has the same viscosity as the RockShox 5wt oil. I weigh about 175 and like my fork to be snappy. :)

There's a ton of good information on fork fluids on Peter Verdone's Suspension Fluid page:
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index. ... sion_Fluid

Scroll down to the viscosity chart to search for comparisons.