HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PUSH or not to push
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 am 
lil' hucker

It's coming up to around a years worth on my bike and haven't done a service on my forks or shock for them yet. 30-50 hours haha, gtfo. So far my fork and shock have been running fine and I'm of the type of don't fix it if it isn't broke. I'm also anal retentive when it comes to keeping my bike clean. Everything else on the other hand that's a different story. FWIW I have basic tools and knowledge but really don't want to screw up my fork so it's going somewhere but where...

So I looked into shops in the area. My main LBS doesn't do services on any forks/shocks. They would be sending them into FOX for the overhaul. I've read else where online fox tends to fluck the customer adding stuff that doesn't need to be added to gain a buck. So that's out of the question.

Next is another LBS that does a basic service. Air sleeve stuff I'm assuming and not complete overhaul. That would run around 150 total. Is this okay or do I really need the complete overhaul even if everything is running fine?

Next up is Pushed IND. Read nothing but good things about them. This would be the complete overhaul, still cheaper and better then actually sending them to FOX. Also they do custom valve stuff and that's still cheaper then fox.

I sold my stumpy before I did the service and before that I had my GT which was never serviced but worked like a champ.

So since my current bike cost me a ton of money, along with new technology to be able to easily service, I plan on keeping it for years like the GT. Which route would you go?

and because I'm an idiot can someone move this to the correct sub-forum. :lol:

Post subject: Re: PUSH or not to push
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 am 
pussy

I have no experience with them I but I would use them. I service my forks myself though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 am 
revolting kitty

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/ ... ervals.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:16 am 
lil' hucker

Wmac wrote:
http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/service_intervals.htm

I all ready know that info you goof ;). I'm wondering which route to take. If I can get away with a basic air service till next winter or send it to PUSH when I get the cash.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 am 
stealth kitty

HUTCH wrote:
Wmac wrote:
http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/07/eng/service_intervals.htm

I all ready know that info you goof ;). I'm wondering which route to take. If I can get away with a basic air service till next winter or send it to PUSH when I get the cash.

Marpilli seems to be rebuilding shocks left and right on a regular basis... how about getting your shock Marp'ed instead? :mrgreen:

-S

mmm bacon.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Shibiwan/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm 
big hucker

"marped" sounds bad. :D

"Dude, that guy serviced my fork and he marped it all up." :lol:

Besides, I'm too slow to offer my services to the public.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm 
revolting kitty

No, I meant it's just a fluid change every 200 miles as long as the bushings and seals are good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm 
revolting kitty

Edit - forgot you had rear suspension as well. Forks don't require Fox certified.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm 
lil' hucker

Wmac wrote:
Edit - forgot you had rear suspension as well. Forks don't require Fox certified.

Yeah I asked both LBS about this. They both gave me a run around about warranty. I mean how hard would it be to get a shop to get certified to do this. I would do it myself but um I am 100% I would screw something up and then would have a fork all taken apart. As for the 200 mile change, that's crazy IMO. My forks and shocks feel the same the day as I bought the bike. The one LBS up north will do both but wasn't clear on how far they would go with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 pm 
friendly kitty

In my experience the folks at Suspension Experts in Ashvile, NC have always done great work and been a pleasure to deal with.

http://mtbsuspensionexperts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 am 
stealth kitty

I had sent my Spesh AFR Brain rear shock back to Spesh (too complicated/too much stuff to do/too lazy) and was charged $140. Took about 2 weeks during Xmas...

-S

mmm bacon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 am 
revolting kitty

HUTCH wrote:
Wmac wrote:

Yeah I asked both LBS about this. They both gave me a run around about warranty. I mean how hard would it be to get a shop to get certified to do this. I would do it myself but um I am 100% I would screw something up and then would have a fork all taken apart. As for the 200 mile change, that's crazy IMO. My forks and shocks feel the same the day as I bought the bike. The one LBS up north will do both but wasn't clear on how far they would go with it.

I know, right? I'd be changing oil once or twice a month in summer!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 am 
lil' hucker

Wmac wrote:
HUTCH wrote:
Wmac wrote:

I know, right? I'd be changing oil once or twice a month in summer!

That's just crazy though. I'm sure 80-90% is just marketing hype. Kind of like replace all parts every six months, I read that too somewhere. Bunch of malarkey. If you don't replace your frame once a year it will explode too. :lol: I prefer to run things till I'm like whoa, whoa, toto hold the line, something is fuvked. Better see what's wrong. Even then I'm like, I'll see if it does it next ride. :lol:

Jon Richard wrote:
In my experience the folks at Suspension Experts in Ashvile, NC have always done great work and been a pleasure to deal with.

http://mtbsuspensionexperts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=77

Thank you for the link Jon, reasonable prices there/fast turn around. Looks like another contender and bookmarked for the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:59 pm 
stealth kitty

HUTCH wrote:
That's just crazy though. I'm sure 80-90% is just marketing hype. Kind of like replace all parts every six months, I read that too somewhere. Bunch of malarkey. If you don't replace your frame once a year it will explode too. :lol: I prefer to run things till I'm like whoa, whoa, toto hold the line, something is fuvked. Better see what's wrong. Even then I'm like, I'll see if it does it next ride. :lol:

Apparently bikes do burst into flames.

Probably looked like this:

-S

mmm bacon.