HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 pm 
big hucker

While rebuilding a couple of 2002 RockShox SID forks (and installing Enduro seals), I decided to document the process I use.

We'll need a 27mm and 29mm socket and a 1/2" socket extension. Also shown are the blue Enduro wipers and the black Enduro oil seals.

To install the oil seals, take the 27mm socket, turn it upside down, and insert the extension.
Image Image

Wipe a small amount of fork oil around the seal (to slightly lubricate it) and install it by hand. Make sure the seal is going in straight.

Now take the 27mm socket assembly and place it on top of the partially seated seal. use the palm of your hand to press down on the extension and work the seal into position.

Image Image

Oil seal done!

On to the wipers...

Remove the 27mm socket and attach the 29mm socket to the extension. Here is the 29mm socket sitting next to and then on top of the wiper.

Image Image

As before, wipe a bit of fork oil around the wiper and start it by hand. Again, make sure it is going in evenly and true.

Once started, place the 29mm socket assembly on top of the wiper and press it down into place.

When you're finished you'll have a great set of fork seals installed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:02 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Nice pictorial. Just noticed the wipers in your kit are the older style. For the modified "next generation" wipers (redundant inner lip removed for less stiction) you may want to consider getting the kits from us (realworldcycling.com/enduroforkseals.com).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm 
big hucker

Thank you. I didn't realize there were different generations of the wipers. Could you post up a pic of the newer generation wiper?

By the way, I'm still waiting on you guys to produce that 28mm installation tool so I can buy one... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm 
lil' hucker

I've been putting chris2fur's fork seals in my forks since 2007. They are far superior to stock seals, at least in the case of RockShox forks, anyway.

One time I placed an order, and in the package was all my parts I ordered and also one of those plastic bracelets, like the livestrong ones, only it was blue and said enduroforkseals.com.

That was around 2010...I put it on for the hell of it, and it's still there on my wrist!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
big hucker

I've bought the enduro fork seals from several sources (including Real World Cycling). I usually buy them from the same seller as I buy the o-ring kit from (if that seller has them in stock).

From what I understand, RWC does not manufacture the Enduro fork seals.

I wonder how many different generations of wipers there are?

How can the different generations be identified (some physical characteristic or number on the label)?

Is RWC the only source for the "newest" generation of Enduro fork seals? If so, why?

Just curious...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm 
stealth kitty

Chris2fur wrote:
Nice pictorial. Just noticed the wipers in your kit are the older style. For the modified "next generation" wipers (redundant inner lip removed for less stiction) you may want to consider getting the kits from us (realworldcycling.com/enduroforkseals.com).

How about HK discounts for us plugging your stuff on our articles. :lol:

Welcome to the board. Glad to see you made it over here. :)

-S

mmm bacon.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Shibiwan/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 am 
lurkin' kitty

marpilli wrote:
Thank you. I didn't realize there were different generations of the wipers. Could you post up a pic of the newer generation wiper?

By the way, I'm still waiting on you guys to produce that 28mm installation tool so I can buy one... ;)

28mm Seal Press Tool is being anodized this week. Laser marking in another week.

The latest fork seal kits are produced with Next Generation Wipers. Earlier ones are not. At RWC we assemble our own kits and do our own tweaks and mods. We modify the older style wipers on a lathe to make all of our kits "Next Generation." Here are some of the kits that will have old style wipers unless you get them from RWC: Manitou 28.6, Manitou 30, Manitou 34; RockShox 28, RockShox 30, RockShox 35, Rockshox 40; Marzocchi 30, Marzocchi 32, Marzocchi 35, Marzocchi 40; Fox 40.

Also, our Marzocchi 32 kit fits all Marzocchi 32mm forks because, in addition to removing the redundant inner lip, we remove the flange (prevents installation on some forks because the arch on the lowers interferes). We also have some exclusive kits, such as the BOS 36. It may seem strange that our kits differ, but we started out as the only online source for Enduro Fork Seals several years ago. When they started going through distributors, we had to stay ahead of the game to remain competitive.

Here is the difference in wiper styles (viewed from bottom of the wipers):

Attachments:
before_n_after.jpg
before_n_after.jpg [ 144.59 KiB | Viewed 6699 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 am 
big hucker

Very interesting information, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 am 
bad kitty!

marpilli wrote:
Very interesting information, thank you!

Indeed. Run of the mill seals + lathe = latest and greatest.
Who would have thought of that? ;)

Fortunately many of us has a lathe, as here in Europe, RWC is a somewhat expensive solution, due to shipping and import tax.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:21 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Thank you guys for a lot of helpful information. I am a newbie bike builder and am in the process of rebuilding my first front fork. "Marpilli", you described you first rebuild on another forum back in 2011 and I think I have the same fork: Rock Shox Judy C Hydracoil, perhaps even the same year 1999. I have bought the Enduro Seal & Wiper kit (FK6613). On RWC I see that they only have kits for 2000-, so I am wondering if I might be out of luck in doing an upgrade and have to put the old "Resiwipers" back in. I remember you did a 1999 model. Were you able to fit in both the seal and the wiper? And if so, did you use the above mentioned method? When I look at mine there hardly seems to be enough room for both.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
big hucker

Thank you for the compliments. That Judy is still in service on a friend's bike. :D

I didn't try the enduro seals in the Judy. I remember reading (maybe the RWC website?) the best bet was to use the OEM seals.

Yep, just looked back on the other site and found a photo of the Judy C with gray OEM seals.

I honestly don't remember the available depth on the Judy in respects to the seals. Best advice I can offer is to measure how much area there is for the seal and then measure the stack height of the Enduro seals. That should give you an idea if it'll fit.