HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Homebrew Sealant
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 pm 
friendly kitty

I have been a bit disappointed with my HB in one tire. The liquid evaporates WAY too fast in my rear tire compared to my front. I am not sure if it is not sealing/seating correctly or what, but there is a lot of seepage at the bead. I am going to remove the tape and reapply... I suspect it was a bad tape job at the shop that built my wheel (who also laced it 2x instead of 3x).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:37 am 
friendly kitty

I plan to give this stuff a look once I can get over to TSC https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/berryman-tire-sealer-1-gal

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm 
friendly kitty

southsideguy wrote:
I have been a bit disappointed with my HB in one tire. The liquid evaporates WAY too fast in my rear tire compared to my front. I am not sure if it is not sealing/seating correctly or what, but there is a lot of seepage at the bead. I am going to remove the tape and reapply... I suspect it was a bad tape job at the shop that built my wheel (who also laced it 2x instead of 3x).

^ IME tape has been the culprit for sealant disappearing. Velocity rim tape caused me problems. Once replaced with 3M, it Stan's all was good.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:01 am 
pussy

Split tube ghetto tubeless FTW! :dance:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:18 am 
friendly kitty

Flyin_W wrote:
southsideguy wrote:

^ IME tape has been the culprit for sealant disappearing. Velocity rim tape caused me problems. Once replaced with 3M, it Stan's all was good.

The wheel is taped with Stan's, but I didn't do the tape job and it wasn't as neat/clean as my front wheel. I am gong to air the wheel up tomorrow and tank it. The tire seeped through the sidewalls at first, but there is still considerable amount of wet at the bead. The rear tire is a Forte Tsali (not tubeless), but I ran a Pisgah 1 (not tubeless) on the front with no problems (until I tore the sidewall open on the trail and swapped it for a Pisgah 2 tubeless). I really like the grip/ride of the tire, but I would rather go to a different tire to fix this problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 am 
friendly kitty

I've not done split tube, yet have learned to When install tape by stretching​ the piss out of it. Unless tight and straight it will soon leak. (Stan's tape is made by 3M.)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:14 pm 
friendly kitty

Aaaand I'm back...

Put air in the tire (it was 100% flat) and put it in a large thing of water..... yeeah... it's the tire. So much air leaking from the sidewalls that the water looked like it had fine fizzy bubbles (campaign?) in it. The tire has had at LEAST 16 ounces of HB poured into it. The sealant was still a gel (most of the liquid had escaped through the sidewalls), but there was no sealing the leaky tire up. Took the tire off and put my 2.3" old Spec Ground Control on. It was a pain to get to seat (it has been hanging for a while), but once seated and sealant added.... nothing... not one single bubble.

I will replace the tire with a different tire at some point in the future. I REALLY liked the Tsali's profile and grip, but it's too bad they have not made a tubeless version of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:23 pm 
friendly kitty

^ Curious, what are you using for chunk?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 pm 
friendly kitty

Flyin_W wrote:
^ Curious, what are you using for chunk?

Just the basic recipe. Glitter and the Slime. It does a great job sealing punctures, but the sealant never dries inside the tire. When I used Stan's sealant, it formed a skin on the inside of the tire over time, but it dried out really fast too. I would rather buy true tubeless tires and not have to refill the sealant as often.

I did put the Tasli and other Ground Control on my commuter bike today to take it out for a spin on the dirt, so all is not lost on the Tasli tire. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7