HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:29 am 
yappin' kitty

I've re-learned what I've known for years, cycling alone isn't enough for me to lose weight. I'm still weighing around 240 :oops: I feel that I eat reasonably well, get regular exercise, but still haven't lost any weight. My wife convinced me to start keeping a food log. I also know I need to make regular movement more a part of my entire day. So what to do? Well, I've decided to take the fitbit plunge.

I picked up one today along with the fitbit wifi scale. All the data automatically gets funneled through the web to the fitbit account. I don't have to do anything except keep moving.

While there is the novelty in it today, I've already found it having a drive to make me move more. It's kind of like a new bike toys make a ride more interesting.

Day 1 is nearly in the books. Let's see if it helps getting me closer to a goal weight of 210.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:28 am 
big hucker

I had to look up the fitbit. Neat little tracking tool! Did you know anyone personally who had one? I'm very interested in how it works out for you long term.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 am 
yappin' kitty

After a day's use, I'm giving the fitbit one a perfect 10. Sure there is a bit of novelty that will be tested with time, but I found it a very effective motivator today.

I didn't have many meetings today, so I found myself sitting in my office with no steps counting up. I started going to the bathroom on a floor below my office so that I would get a stair flight credit and extra steps in.

The food plan is adaptive, so the more you do, the more calories you have to spare in your day. The food database is pretty robust with a lot of name brand products. I had to do some guessing on food equivalents, but that's wasn't too bad. Knowing that I was going to log food in, I was making an effort to make better choices.

I used it sleep mode to track my sleep last night. I woke up this morning feeling like I could have used an hour extra sleep (I'm still a bit off from the part of the week in DC). The sleep study also show where I tossed and turned and/or peed at night. But other than a few blips, I was out for most of the night.

The fitbit activities automatically sync through bluetooth through my iphone to the website. The app has a nice data display. Also, I have it set up to sync with my garmin connect account, so biking and other gps-based activities are automatically carried forward to give me activity credits here.

Here are a few screen shots from the website. I had a softball game tonight, so I met all my goals for activity today. :dance:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 9.24.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 9.24.03 PM.png [ 104.88 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 9.24.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 9.24.49 PM.png [ 34.42 KiB | Viewed 2879 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:29 am 
yappin' kitty

One week of fitbiting, and I'm happy to report it works like magic. The combination of visual indicators of activity along with a diet "budget", it seems to be a very sustainable combination of diet and exercise.

I've also made two dietary changes. I've tried to cut out wheat. I'm not fearing carbs, but I've changed the breakfast from a high wheat content to eggs and fruit. I've also tried to decrease the salt in my diet. Then end result is this--wow!

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 9.13.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 9.13.01 PM.png [ 65.68 KiB | Viewed 2866 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm 
revolting kitty

Nice! I think you get a lot of results when you pay very close attention to your diet and exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 pm 
yappin' kitty

229.6 pounds this morning. First time under 230 in recent memory! Next stop 220 pounds to be under 100 kgs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:05 pm 
elder kitty!

Nice work, keep it going!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:05 pm 
yappin' kitty

Here is a quick 1 month in review. I'm still very much enjoying the fitbit. I'm not great about entering the food eaten into the database, but the calories, floors and steps tracking is just a natural part of my day. The app and website allows you to set targets for the day for a range of activities. After a month, I always try to achieve the number of floors climbed per day (25 is my number that I shoot for) and active minutes (30 minutes per day). I've noticed I don't care too much about my 12,500 steps per day goal, particularly on days when I bike. The fitbit account is automagically updated with my garmin account, so any bike rides count towards my active time as well as calories burned. On our recent road trip, I was amazed at how effectively it canceled out false steps will sitting in the car. We could be cruising along on bumpy roads and not register a false single step.

Pros: no fuss, requires virtually no charging, works as a great motivator, has "staying power" for use, excellent website with data exchange-ability, effectively cancels out "steps" made when sitting (in a car for example)
Cons: None really.

Pictures of the website data:
Calories burned by day
Attachment:
calories.jpg
calories.jpg [ 36.75 KiB | Viewed 2824 times ]

Floors climbed by day
Attachment:
floors.jpg
floors.jpg [ 40.31 KiB | Viewed 2824 times ]

Steps climbed by day (this includes a 2 week road trip in the middle)
Attachment:
steps.jpg
steps.jpg [ 33.63 KiB | Viewed 2824 times ]

Weight by day
Attachment:
weight.jpg
weight.jpg [ 29.82 KiB | Viewed 2824 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 am 
yappin' kitty

It's been a while since I've checked in on the fitbit. I'm using it daily and still enjoy it very much. I may not be alone if the products recently announced at CES is any indication.

Today was a milestone day -- I crossed 1000 miles walking! It took just over 2.2 million logged steps :D

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 7.50.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 7.50.00 PM.png [ 58.31 KiB | Viewed 2605 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:34 am 
lil' hucker

^ How much has this helped with weight loss or how much have you rode this year or what's up Rick? Don't visit that other site besides reading xc/endurance training stuff.

I'm in a lul or whatever right now and feel like crap but still manage to ride/workout.

From working out actually gained 3 pounds of muscle so far. It's helped but there is no races anytime soon to see if that's a good thing or bad thing with V02 or etc. Due to weather, no good trails and horrible salt etc it's been trainer non stop for awhile now. Sitting at 112miles so far with that and I'd give a nut to ride a trail or even sigh...the road right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 am 
yappin' kitty

I feel like I am in a good space. Down 30 pounds but stuck a bit around 210. My resting hr is in the low 40s and riding pretty strong is around 120-140bpm. That is way down for a year ago where I would seem to be pegged around 170. I've ridden 80 miles this year but that has mostly been on the trainer due to seriously butt freezing weather.

As for the fitbit, it is very good at keeping me moving. My job would have me stationary too much unless I make myself move. The fitbit goals help with this. I like the stair climbing goal in particular.

I'm still very much with my paleo diet. I've been tending to the lower carb edge these days but it doesn't seem to give me any issue. I haven't had any processed food or wheat in over 6 months. Good times!