HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wheat Belly Challenge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 am 
yappin' kitty

I'm not a believer of fads or overhyped diets. I've always tried to eat sensibly and I thought I was doing good with my general approach. A buddy of mine mentioned "wheat belly" a few weeks back and it got me thinking. I'd heard of beer bellies and it is essentially the same principle.

As a disclaimer, I haven't read the book on the topic. I simply started cutting out wheat. I can say I feel 10 times better after a week. This is what my weight change looks like over the same period of time.

Some side reading--
LA Times Write up

This one is an interesting blog that I could have just as easily written. No matter how much I've cycled, my weight has been stable. I'm seeing similar results as this guy. Interesting? Coincidence? Or an opportunity for further testing?
Blog to read

So here we go. If you are a overweight and want to try something for a week, join me in the wheat belly challenge. Give up wheat (not carbs) the best you can for 1 week. See if you can post near double digit weight loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:49 am 
lil' hucker

Nope.

Been living off two big tuna sandwiches a day on wheat bread with fruit and veges since Apr 11 and I'm down 40 pounds. Good luck though. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:01 am 
yappin' kitty

I'm treating it with a certain amount of skepticism myself. I figure there are lots of ways to eat healthy food. Mixing things up seems like a reasonable option.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 am 
lil' hucker

Yeah there's tons of healthy food. It's how much you take in vs how much you burn; which for me less food + more burn = more weight loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 am 
yappin' kitty

I've said and believed the same thing. I have also known there is more to it.

For me, I seem to retain water like a camel. I would bet most of the weight I have lost this week is water yet I have drank perhaps twice the water as any normal human would.

Also switching breakfasts away from grains seems to have made a huge difference. This difference is that I'm not hungry at 11 am.

My poop is definitely different. Perhaps we need to post up the Bristol scale for reference, but I've gone from soft, almost diarrhea crap to what I would think would be normal human crap.

To me where I can be extremely consistent with what I do (OCD?) and experience, these changes really stand out.

My calories in and out are largely the same. Yet, my body is behaving differently. My scientific mind is intrigued.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:19 am 
yappin' kitty

pretty interesting. i guess anyone trying to lose weight might as well try going wheatless for a week or two...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 am 
friendly kitty

There is a good chance that water retention is a huge part, but probably not all of it.

Every gram of carbohydrate in your body, digested or undigested, requires about a gram of water to be bound to it. So if you have a lot less carbs (the obvious affect of avoiding wheat), you lose a lot of weight. And your poop will contain less water/carbs, so it ends up more solid.

But, your body is used to a certain level of liquids present, so now you have to drink like a fish (and piss like a race horse) to keep up.

Least... That's how it works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:40 am 
yappin' kitty

So I'm about 2 weeks into trying to be wheat free. I never realized every food served along the road side was served with a bun. I've been diligently making the tough choices. Disney of all places is surprisingly well stocked with good food choices.

I'm not traveling with a scale, so I won't know where I'll end up after next week (when I return home). Hopefully I'll be neutral in weight after 3000 miles in a car.

I do feel much better, so the weight is secondary for me. My knees do not pop when climbing stairs. I find that the most interesting change for this week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:03 am 
lil' hucker

Like the bun to the burger - like the burger to the bun
Like the cherry to the apple - to the peach to the plum!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:04 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Heyyall wrote:
So I'm about 2 weeks into trying to be wheat free. I never realized every food served along the road side was served with a bun. I've been diligently making the tough choices. Disney of all places is surprisingly well stocked with good food choices.

I'm not traveling with a scale, so I won't know where I'll end up after next week (when I return home). Hopefully I'll be neutral in weight after 3000 miles in a car.

I do feel much better, so the weight is secondary for me. My knees do not pop when climbing stairs. I find that the most interesting change for this week.

Keep it up, dropping wheat from my daily diet has done more for my overall feeling of being well than almost anything else besides sugar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:27 pm 
yappin' kitty

Had I read more stuff about removing wheat from the diet on the Internet, I would have immediately discounted the idea. It seems too crazy. The reality is I have not felt better in my adult life. It is crazy! But, in a great way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:08 am 
friendly kitty

Did you do anything else to supplement the diet? Have you chaged your routines, been eating less, excercising more, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 am 
yappin' kitty

aikane wrote:
Did you do anything else to supplement the diet? Have you chaged your routines, been eating less, excercising more, etc?

No. I've ridden my bike 2000 miles in the past 12 months and didn't lose a single pound. I did get a fitbit about the same time as i stopped eating wheat and that did lead to a little more walking, but it wouldn't explain it.

So at the risk of sounding like a nut, it is the wheat. The biggest change has been breakfast. I probably was eating enough grains to fuel a race horse. I would be hungry by 9:30 and would snack on whatever I could find in the office. Now, I've been eating 2-3 scrambled eggs and fruit. I don't have any food cravings and really don't feel that hungry for lunch.

If you are curious, give it a few days. I would love to hear some other results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 pm 
pussy

I followed a low carb diet for a while and lost around 30 pounds over a few months. It is tough to stay on the diet for a long time though. I have like ten extra pounds that I could shed if I worked really hard on them - but the moment I get off a draconian weight loss regime, I get them back instantly even if I ride / exercise like crazy and watch my eating habits. I pretty much eliminated carbs from my breakfast though, I have been doing whey protein shakes for 18 months now and I love the simplicity and convenience of this simple meal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm 
yappin' kitty

The interesting about the wheat belly idea is that it isn't a low carb diet. Sure it shifts some of the foods towards proteins, but carbs are not restricted. Avoiding wheat avoids much junk / fast food.

The ideas of why wheat is chemically bad are interesting. I'm not sold on the authors science, but it has me curious.

I watched this video last night. It is a bit long and borders on pseudoscience, but for hypothesis generation, it is well done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 pm 
timid kitty

Just be sure to obtain the nutritional benefits of those wheat products in other foods so your body is getting a full and complete diet.

One thing to remember when loosing weight is that there is a healthy poundage per week, and there is an unhealthy poundage per week. What that amount is has been debated forever.

Congrats on the weight loss, I'll be following the progress so keep posting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:05 am 
yappin' kitty

TeamHaymaker wrote:
Just be sure to obtain the nutritional benefits of those wheat products in other foods so your body is getting a full and complete diet.

One thing to remember when loosing weight is that there is a healthy poundage per week, and there is an unhealthy poundage per week. What that amount is has been debated forever.

Congrats on the weight loss, I'll be following the progress so keep posting

I plan on talking to some people at work about vitamins supplements and the like as that was a concern I had too.

I'll get back on the scale tomorrow morning to see how much damage a two road trip did to my weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
yappin' kitty

Before vacation: 229.4
After 3500 mi road trip with unfortunately poor food choices for many days: 230.7

Considering my activity was way down, crappy food (even without wheat) and I sucked down a few sodas along the way, to be essentially within a pound is outstanding in my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm 
friendly kitty

Heyyall wrote:
Avoiding wheat avoids much junk / fast food.

Ah. Didn't realize that wheat belly was just a wheat avoidance.

Reducing wheat reduces the amount of crap you eat, on the whole (anything with buns or tortillas, etc). So you're likely cutting out a ton of saturated fats, processed sugars, and food that is typically enjoyed with soda. So then you're less tempted to drink soda. And it becomes awkward to order food at restaurants, so you eat at home more. Side effects force you to eat better and better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
yappin' kitty

I agree that avoiding wheat means less cookies, donuts and the like, but I never ate those things with any frequency. By the USDA standards, I was a very healthy eater. That is part of the reason I have been so perplexed with my weight.

I talked to my Dr two years ago about celiac disease. He said we could do the test but I might end up with needing an endoscopy. That didn't sound like my cup of tea so I moved on.

Now after reading a bit more about how wheat reacts to the body, I'm wondering if the USDA has it all wrong. I don't recall the source, but many years ago there were articles about how the food pyramid was essentially the same composition of what is used to fatten cattle right before processing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm 
yappin' kitty

This is starting to become crazy. I weighed in this morning at 227.4. That is 2.1 pounds lower than yesterday. <100kg doesn't seem that far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:57 pm 
revolting kitty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:18 am 
yappin' kitty

This morning I was 226.7. It also marks about month since I've stopped eating wheat. I'm still gathering a few readings and learning as I go along.

But, as my readings continue, I've determined that essentially I'm starting to narrow in on the "Primal Living" ideas (see http://www.marksdailyapple.com/). What I'm finding fascinating, beyond losing weight, is that when given time and availability of food, I actually really like eating "primal" foods. Basically that means, meats, fruits and vegetables. This goes back to my early years where I would eat tomatoes over candy if given the opportunity.

I also have tremendous energy. Ironically, eating a lot of carbs makes me sleepy. This was always the case with me, but now it seems more pronounced.

I used to eat tums 2-3x a week. I haven't had one in a month.

The list goes on and on. It is so simple yet remarkably interesting.

So, regardless of whether or not I lose another pound, I'm going to stick with the new plan. I like how it really isn't a "diet" (in the fad of the month club) but rather a change in my diet (what I eat).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:48 am 
yappin' kitty

Way to stick with the experiment. Glad it is going well for you. It sounds like a big boost in your quality of life, as well as the weight loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:44 am 
flirting kitty

Our country's poor eating habits (USA) are based on processed foods. If we cut processed foods from our diet or at least reduce the intake, pounds will fall off.

Example: Hutch, eat your tuna sammich using two slices of lettuce leaf instead of two slices of bread. Call it a "protein wrap".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 pm 
yappin' kitty

Starting weight -- 239.6

June 13 -- 231.5

July 13 -- 223.9

I have my fingers crossed that I can get under 100kgs by next week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:25 am 
yappin' kitty

I took this selfie out riding today to share the jersey shot with other Tour de Cure riders. It got me thinking--would I look thinner even though I have another 15-25 pounds more to lose?

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373944987.143634.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373944987.143634.jpg [ 78.94 KiB | Viewed 7179 times ]

I had to go digging up a photo from last fall. My face definitely looks thinner!

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373945064.469730.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373945064.469730.jpg [ 80.68 KiB | Viewed 7179 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 am 
pussy

Well done. Your summer sunglasses are less geeky, too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 am 
yappin' kitty

Thanks...I think. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 am 
lil' hucker

Maybe. IDK, I myself have that chubby baby face. Even at 155 pounds in the military my face looked the same as it does now. Cheek bones showed more but not much.

Does this dress make me look fat? LOL