HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 am 
lurkin' kitty

Been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid and just got into MTB with a used stumpjumper. First off, freakin' pedaling is hard:-) As the bike was used, I'm going through it and catching up on some maintenance. I'm comfortable with anything on a motorcycle, but it seems many MTB components are not from this world...I'm an engineer and can just sit and marvel at the derailleur :thinking: All that aside, my first big task is to rebuild the shock, Fox Float R with remote brain. I found marpilli's awesome index of fox stuff, but wasn't sure what, if anything, was different with the remote brain vice his detailed rebuild on the attached brain. I have nitrogen and fill needles for closed chamber WP forks, so I think I have everything but directions and maybe parts. I got the float rebuild kit, just not sure what, if anything, needs to be serviced in the brain. Any advice is greatly appreciated and if marpilli reads this, maybe I can get a PM as I can't send yet:-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 pm 
bad kitty!

Welcome aboard!
Marp is sure reading this, just give him a chance, as I'm suspecting he has some sort of a life ;)

Once you get a bit more experienced with bikes, you'll find that most of it is just like a dirt bike, but smaller and simpler.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:23 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Thanks for the welcome. Simpler? I think twisting the throttle is way simpler than all this pedaling:-) The lack of gear is nice until you take a dirt sample...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:02 am 
yappin' kitty

As far as I know, "Brains" are made to ONLY be serviced by Fox themselves. I love doing all my maintenance, but I have to send mine in after each suggested maintenance interval.

However, if you can fab some tool(s) to service a Brain to be sold on the secondary market, you would have a seriously large market and would make some serious bank, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:46 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Snakeman,

My concern is that it's an 07 brain and it seems that Fox only works on recent stuff...hopefully I'm wrong and just misunderstanding their website. Also, I am only trying to rebuild the shock as it's weeping oil every ride...but I think that you can't service it without at least recharging the brain (and at 200 psi of nitrogen I don't want to just unscrew the shock and shoot a hole in the shop wall) :o That's really the question that I'm hoping Marp can answer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 pm 
bad kitty!

I've just summoned Marp, as he seems to have missed this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:23 am 
big hucker

Gah, life got in the way. Sorry about that.

First off, welcome!

Second, I didn't write those how-to's. :lol:

They are a direct rip from Fox's factory service website that is only available to qualified service personnel. Someone got smart and pulled down a copy of the HTML. I've just been slowly (very slowly) converting them to code for the forum.

To make matters worse, I've never serviced one of Fox's "brain" shocks. So, I've done no research on it. :(

But, here's your chance to shine! :D

Malfunctioning items are the best things to work on. It's already broken. If you're successful with a fix then you're a genius. If not, throw everything into a zip-loc bag and send it off to PUSH to figure out. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:19 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Well, I guess I get to wander into uncharted territory. I found a Specialized manual today for the shock with remote brain and it looks like the shock can be serviced independently which is exactly what I was after! You just leave the brain attached to it's hose (not sure if the correct term is spinal cord? :laughing-rollingyellow: ) and disassemble the shock as normal. Hang the parts on the brain as you go, remove the service parts over the brain, slip the new parts over the brain and re-assemble! If you guys think the manual would be handy, I can try to figure out how to post it up (not sure it it's hosted somewhere like pix).

I hope it's that easy!!

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:40 am 
bad kitty!

Please have Marp add that manual to the list, if you can find a way to transfer it to him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 am 
big hucker

lyhoftom wrote:
Well, I guess I get to wander into uncharted territory. I found a Specialized manual today for the shock with remote brain and it looks like the shock can be serviced independently which is exactly what I was after! You just leave the brain attached to it's hose (not sure if the correct term is spinal cord? :laughing-rollingyellow: ) and disassemble the shock as normal. Hang the parts on the brain as you go, remove the service parts over the brain, slip the new parts over the brain and re-assemble! If you guys think the manual would be handy, I can try to figure out how to post it up (not sure it it's hosted somewhere like pix).

I hope it's that easy!!

Tom

If you don't mind, send me a PM with the link to the manual. I'll find a way to incorporate it and we'll give you full credit. :)

You'll most certainly save someone else in the same situation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:25 pm 
lurkin' kitty

http://www.specialized.com/media/whatsn ... nce_SJ.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:40 am 
big hucker

lyhoftom wrote:
http://www.specialized.com/media/whatsnew/07Maintenance_SJ.pdf

Excellent! Thank you.