HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 pm 
yappin' kitty

So, as I said in the other thread I got an early xmas gift from the mrs. A Sony HDR-AS15 action cam. I’ve been looking for a step up or companion to the Contour we’ve used for nearly 3 years now. Not ready to give up on the Contour, just looking for something more camcorder and less action cam. I’ll update this thread as I get more use out of the new toy

First some action cam video comparisons from others:
4 way compare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoUJGv8Y1dI
2 way compare with boobs :whistle: possibly NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kri1CNwJIQE

A short Video clip from my ride around town this morning. Trails are unridable slush and melting ice right now. I picked this clip because it shows where the Sony outshines the Contour. The sound is exceptional, the image stabilization is very good and color is slightly more vivid. Typical overcast winter day here in NY finger lakes area

First day winners

Sony
Sound. Big winner. Far and away better than the contour
Image stabilization at the source
Slightly better picture
This is a just a tiny camcorder. I can use this places that I’ve used the video on our regular cameras with great results

Contour
The record switch is solid. As weird as I first found the huge record slide I’ve grown to love it. No mistakes. In one other clip I missed turning the Sony on.
The rotating lens. I was going to lower each camera into the creek from a bridge with my camera pole. Then I realized the Sony would be shooting upside down.
I’m HoH and the confirmation sounds from the contour are much louder

some equipment images

Attachment:
Naked.JPG
Naked.JPG [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 7979 times ]

Attachment:
Dressed.JPG
Dressed.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 7979 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:43 pm 
big hucker

Nice! I watched the 'boob' video. The Sony beat the GoPro hands-down on color and detail.

I see the WiFi logo. Can it wirelessly transfer video? Or, does it relate to something else?

EDIT: I just realized you had the Sony on your handlebar. That stabilization rocks! It barely shook when you went down the steps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:52 pm 
yappin' kitty

some of the bad things I've read are difficulty setting up the Wi-Fi. I have interest in the smart phone control and the first attempt failed.

One of those deals where it sounds so simple to use but kicks your ass trying to use it. Lots to learn, baby steps first

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:55 pm 
bad kitty!

Mmmmm, boobs!

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 pm 
yappin' kitty

I made a better mount this morning out of an old SKS Xtra-Dry seatpost fender and tripod swivel head. very few places I can't mount the cam now. Pretty frightening when you cobble something together and it works! :dance:
Next thing I bugger together will crumble in my hands

snapped this pic of it with the Sony after my ride

Attachment:
CobJob.JPG
CobJob.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 7965 times ]

I downloaded VideoPad yesterday but it is so unlike anything else I've used it will take me a while to get used to it. The chunks of video today will help me get started

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:23 pm 
pussy

Nice work! It is going to be a mud magnet in that spot, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 am 
yappin' kitty

^ it's not working out too bad. I think Sunday proved that. I did get some slop on it but I kinda expected to in that mess :lol:

Some low light and firm ground tonight. Plenty of reflection from the snow.

Yesterday I used it for some family video. There is NO provision for tripod mount unless you put it in the water case. dumb

+ on second attempt I have the iPhone control. Don't understand what I did different. Don't care either. We'll see how often I use it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:30 am 
pussy

I like it. The image stabilization seems to be doing its job, too. If only the camera could also edit the videos without my assistance. :lol:

My trails looked very similar tonight btw.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:55 am 
big hucker

Yeah, I'm liking the image stabilization. Even if you have a narrower FOV. It still looks like the view is plenty wide. That is dumb there isn't some way of securing it outside of the case. Very surprised Sony overlooked that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:08 am 
yappin' kitty

A couple of awesome workarounds. Why it had to come to this I just don't get it. It's like Sony wanted to use up tooling for the old sports series walkman stuff and stuck with the plastic case ~ rubber seal engineer faithful

first find

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/holdertirpod.html?CAWELAID=530001600000008670&catargetid=530001600000020182&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKKUpLz10bsCFdE-MgodfFYA2Q

silly putty wth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:09 am 
yappin' kitty

Yeah, I was very impressed with that stabilization.

Sent from my hammock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:27 am 
big hucker

Nice solution. I'd wrap some Velcro ties around it if you use it on the bike. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:34 am 
yappin' kitty

marpilli wrote:
Nice solution. I'd wrap some Velcro ties around it if you use it on the bike. ;)

It's the fat wally of cameras. It's got the basic things you want but hoops to jump through to make it work where you need it to ;)

sorry Sti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:05 am 
yappin' kitty

found a few issues this week. Still happy with it just a few things they could do better IMO

Wednesday I was using it for an outdoor shoot in 18* temps and lake snow. There is a lock feature on the cam to prevent unwanted recordings that is not activated via the lock on the outer case. I had locked the inside and missed a shoot. Lesson learned. A little later the cam froze up. Since it was snowing I couldn't take it out of the case but once back to the car I took it out, removed the battery and it started working again. Micro lock

Took it hiking with the mrs yesterday. The stabilization is a welcomed plus on hand held shoots. Rock solid. Video is comparable to our other cams ~ Canon PowerShot SX500IS trail cam beater, Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX50V, Sony NEX-5R

Today I used it on my ride and in later clips I could see something on the lens during playback. The case got a tiny scratch right in the field of view from a twig or something. A quick check tells me they are around $30 for a replacement pair. Might try to hack in a glass lens on my damaged cover and I'll need to be more protective of replacements.

I stopped at a local Radio shack and picked up a cell phone tripod just like the one I posted above for $12. Gives me options for use out of the case. Pretty helpless without it unless you're holding it in your hand.

It's a nice addition but I won't giving up my Contour any time soon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 pm 
pussy

Yeah, that sounds like the Fatwally of action cameras. Does it cost 1/10th of a regular camera, too? ;)

(another great thing about Fatwally is that it does not need brake levers insulators!)

That easy-to-scratch cover is bad news if it requires you to replace the whole thing. They should have bonded a glass lens to it, or made the front piece removable when you do not need underwater operation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 pm 
bad kitty!

It would be easy to bond in a lens from an optician. They have demo lenses in all their frames, which are just trash once the frame is sold.
Those can sure be picked up for free or very close to free.
They're easy to bond, and fairly scratch resistant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 am 
yappin' kitty

definitely looking to stick glass over my damaged unit after I get some replacement covers

I hacked up an old Nikon tonight see if I could use the glass from it but failed. I had hoped it was flat glass at the end if the lens assy but it was a 1/4" thick lens and blurs the image

another plus for the Contour. Clean the glass and you're good to go. The Sony I'll need to keep the lens on the cam and both sides of the outer case cover clean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 am 
yappin' kitty

Sti wrote:
(another great thing about Fatwally is that it does not need brake levers insulators!)

ZING! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:51 am 
pussy

A cheap-ish UV filter might work, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:08 am 
bad kitty!

Magura wrote:
It would be easy to bond in a lens from an optician. They have demo lenses in all their frames, which are just trash once the frame is sold.
Those can sure be picked up for free or very close to free.
They're easy to bond, and fairly scratch resistant.

Ok, I hate to do this, but for crying out loud, go pick up a free acrylic lens at the optician. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm 
yappin' kitty

Magura wrote:
Ok, I hate to do this, but for crying out loud, go pick up a free acrylic lens at the optician. :D

I think it's a solid idea and thanks. I have several people I know that work or have worked factory. Should be able to score quite a few sets of safety glasses for free

then if I get around to an optician I'll ask them too

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:20 am 
bad kitty!

Safety glasses won't work, as the lens is soft, hence the optician suggestion, besides the fact you will have trouble bonding the lenses of safety glasses, due to the material (PC).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 am 
friendly kitty

Yup. Plus, only the really nice safety glasses are 'distortion-free', or close to it.