HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Stripes had a good suggestion in another thread about skills development and how did you learn the skills you have, or what's your learning style? I think I've kind of run the gamut from reading instructional manuals/magazines, to watching videos, to taking skills clinics, to playing follow the leader, to videotaping myself. I think it's a combination of all of those things that has gotten me the furthest this last year. 2013 felt like the year I really started to break out a bit more with my riding skills and comfort level, and part of it was due, believe it or not, to more solo riding.

I found myself trying to do things by watching others while following them on the trail. Sometimes it worked, but sometimes in my effort to just keep up and keep upright, I would chicken out and avoid the obstacle all together. Despite encouragement and good-natured goading, I wasn't getting anywhere. Sometimes well-meaning suggestions would just end up making me feel overwhelmed and more confused about how to go about something. I started watching more videos on-line of the proper technique, in motion, instead of one picture on a page. It helped me to have it broken down into steps and then view the entire skill at once.

Before the snows and Polar Vortex took over my part of the country, I was working on learning how to do small drops and jumps. I started using the self-timer on my camera and Go Pro to film myself. I actually found this to be very helpful because I could review the footage and make changes more quickly.

What works for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:19 am 
yappin' kitty

Riding solo also helps me a lot. I will stop at an obstacle then walk the obstacle. After looking at it from 2 POVs you get a real good feel for it. Then I will pick my line and descend/ascend. Start slow and fully expect to bail/stall at first. I don't hit big drops or jumps but rock gardens are in my normal trails. Strangely enough the most difficult obstacles in my local trails are all climbs not drops.

Sent from my hammock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm 
lil' hucker

Been riding MTB since 94. Before that i raced BMX and was into flatland. I say a ton of any bike skills have been through that. OTH the MTB has been trial and error riding solo 90% of the time. Though I've been riding dirtbikes and motorcycles my whole life too which IMO has transferred over a ton. You can read and watch people as much as you want but the best bet is to give it a go yourself. In motorcycle stunting I would mimic the other riders to their style or how about going to do something. Same thing can be applied to bicycles. Watching videos in slow-mo then going out and mimic it slow etc. As you get better, speeds can get higher, you get smoother, go bigger etc. It's all part of the learning curve.