HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:34 pm 
big hucker

http://hh100.org/

I want to do the HHH "Triple Threat" next year (2016). It's a 13 mile MTB race on day one, 100 mile road bike race on day two, and half-marathon trail run on day three. :D I could probably do it this year; but, it would be a poor showing in all three categories.

My solution is to attend the HHH this year and participate in the MTB race, the 100K road race, and the 10k trail run. That should give me a good taste of what it's like. ;)

Anyone else planning to attend HHH this year?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:35 am 
friendly kitty

I had been planning on attending. I don't think I will be cut out for the full 100mi road ride, but I was planning on doing the 100k or 75 mile. My "training" for anything has been pretty awful so far. I just put in a notice on one of my landscaping contracts to free up more ride time though. I also don't know if my riding buddy will be up for the ride this year. Dana, the riding buddy, was supposed to do the ride with me, but she has been riding even less than me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:22 am 
big hucker

southsideguy wrote:
I had been planning on attending. I don't think I will be cut out for the full 100mi road ride, but I was planning on doing the 100k or 75 mile. My "training" for anything has been pretty awful so far. I just put in a notice on one of my landscaping contracts to free up more ride time though. I also don't know if my riding buddy will be up for the ride this year. Dana, the riding buddy, was supposed to do the ride with me, but she has been riding even less than me.

I think another guy I know is going to go and do the 100k along with me. If you decide to go and want company on the ride, let me know. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:32 am 
yappin' kitty

I won't be attending this year. It is a lot of fun though. I've ridden it in both the record high and the record low. They were equally enjoyable. The mtb trail is a fun trail also. Nothing crazy but flowy and fast.

Sent from my hammock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:01 pm 
big hucker

Paul_C wrote:
The mtb trail is a fun trail also. Nothing crazy but flowy and fast.

That's one thing I wondered. I've not ridden that trail and planned on going up at least once during the summer to check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:34 am 
big hucker

Final configuration shakedown. Added spare tire and actual pump. :)

I'll remove the dork disk when I get around to it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:01 am 
big hucker

I head out in the morning. Picking up a riding buddy and we're hitting all the events over the weekend (MTB ride, road ride, and trail run). Super stoked and probably won't be able to sleep tonight. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:40 pm 
big hucker

Friday about 9:00 am. Everything is loaded and my riding buddy and I depart Dallas and head up to Wichita Falls. :)

Arrive in-town about 11:30 and pick up our MTB race packets. Grab a light lunch and then prep the bikes. This is my first real MTB race and to say I'm excited is an understatement. My heart is thumping wildly. :lol:

Pic of the course.

Corral staring to fill as the 2:00 pm start time nears. Was completely packed with all age groups not long after. This was an afternoon event so the temperature was in the mid 90's already.

And, we're off! I tried to not let my excitement get the best of me and I think that might have held back too much at the beginning. I started near the rear of the pack and I purposefully didn't sprint up much farther in the pack while we were in open field. That caused me to be behind several riders that couldn't negotiate the turns and climbs. Much un-clipping and regret on my part for the first few miles... I finally got the balls to start passing people and was able to work my way up to a very respectable position at the finish line. I really believe if I had moved up earlier before entering the single-track that I could have made top three. It was a fantastic learning opportunity and I'll work harder this year (and attend at least one or two local races) to continue building my skill for next year.

I wore my OC jersey just in case there was another knucklehead attending. I didn't find one; however, I did have another rider chat me up saying "I saw someone else wearing that same jersey!" I laughed and we talked for awhile. Never did find the other OC'er.

After the race...

Small injury from falling over on a rocky incline. Not much damage at all....

The dirty El Mariachi performed flawlessly.

Photo of the finish area.

At least two riders went down during the race. One of them was a lady who went off a narrow wooden bridge and head-first into the embankment. We were talking with another rider who witnessed it and he said she broke her arm and was banged up heavily. More on her, later... I don't know anything about the other injured rider.

We're "indoor camping" on the 2nd floor of a downtown business. It's about 4:30 pm and they business is still open so we can't go back and set up our cots just yet. Off to the expo to pick up our road-ride and trail-run packets as well as to look for some deals.

Bought a "crash test dummy" jersey for $10. Thought it was fitting. :D Also bought a couple other really nice jerseys (one for $20 and one for $15). The best deals were from the small bike shop vendors...

Get "checked-in" and set up our sleeping areas. Photo of a few bikes at the location. There were probably 30 people staying there Friday night.

Walked back up to the event area and watched some of the Criterum races. Those riders are crazy fast!

Saturday, up at 5:00 am to get ready. Photo of the 100k starting area about 6:50 am. Thousands of people ahead and behind us.

Image Image

There were rest stops about every 10 miles along the route. We rode past the first one at the 10 mile marker. We approached the 2nd stop at the 20 mile marker and stopped for a minute. The crowd was insane so we continued on. Here are some pics from the 3rd stop at the 30 mile mark.

Port-a-potty line.

Image Image

Refilled the Camelbak, grabbed some cookies, and got back on the road.

The 100k route takes us through the Shepherd Air Force Base. I wasn't going to stop at all until I saw the aircraft. Had to take some photos. :)

Image Image Image Image

Across the finish line!

Image Image

There was a fire-truck spraying out a shower of water for the riders. I stood under it (twice) to cool off. :)

The San Marino did quite nicely...

My friend and I hung around for a bit and then headed back to where we were staying to clean up and change into street clothes.

Most of the guys had already packed up and headed back to Dallas. We were staying an extra night for the trail run on Sunday morning.

Pics of the "indoor camping" area.

Image Image

My little corner.

The two outdoor showers (affectionately called the "hobo wash" :lol:).

That night I fell asleep about 8:30 pm. Woke up at 3:00 am and cat-napped until the alarm went off at 5:00. Get up and ready for the trail run.

Sunday morning about 6:00 am. I'm really tired at this point...

I've never participated in an organized trail race. So, this was also a great learning experience. I made the same mistake I did in the MTB race. I started near the back of the pack and I didn't sprint up while I had a chance. The result was the first 1.5 miles of the race was actually a "speed walk" because of the slow people in front of me. Fixed that shit real quick this time and started passing any time I had the chance. I was very happy with my completion time and I actually came in under what I had hoped for (even with all the walking at the beginning)!

Remember the lady I mentioned (who went head-first into the embankment)? We're standing around waiting for the race to start and this lady walks past us with a broken arm in a sling. Her face is cut up, stitched, and swollen. We're both wondering "Is that her?!?" Turns out that it was. The HHH FB page shows her coming across the half-marathon finish line! Wow. To be that beaten up on a Friday and then run a half-marathon trail run on the following Sunday? That lady is one BAMF...

Finish line was in the same spot as the MTB race.

Image Image

They know how to treat the runners right. Coolers full of free beer at 8:00 am on a Sunday morning. ;)

We went back to where we were staying, cleaned up, loaded everything, and thanked our hosts for letting us camp out over the weekend.

I'm exhausted, had a great time, and got some valuable racing experience. Looking forward to next year when I'd like to do the MTB race, 100 mile road ride, and half-marathon trail run. Good stuff ahead! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm 
impatient kitty

Great write-up Marp!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:06 am 
yappin' kitty

Nice, way to go!
Can't wait to see you at some of our local races!
Let's talk race shop sometime soon :D

I seriously want to get in shape to do the XC race, 100 mile ride and 1/2 Marathon Trail Run for next year, and you just piqued my interest more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 am 
big hucker

Pic someone posted of this year's starting line... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 am 
big hucker

SSLS, let's do it! If you're interested in the "office camp", let me know. It's $60 a night and you can stay only one night if you wanted (all the local hotels require a two night stay). The next couple of weeks are super busy but let's try to meet up after that and discuss. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:00 am 
big hucker

Wait, are you in my age bracket?!? If so, no. No room for you... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:08 am 
yappin' kitty

marpilli wrote:
SSLS, let's do it! If you're interested in the "office camp", let me know. It's $60 a night and you can stay only one night if you wanted (all the local hotels require a two night stay). The next couple of weeks are super busy but let's try to meet up after that and discuss. :)

Absolutely. You know how to get ahold of me.
And, no, I'm not in your age bracket, I think?