HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:17 am 
big hucker

** CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE **

I wanted to mount some Salsa Anything Cages on my Surly Disc Trucker. The resulting process should also work fine for the Long Haul Trucker.

Not exactly sure how I was going to mount them. So, I grabbed a couple of (waaay too large) hose clamps, a couple pieces of rubber, Gorilla tape, and a will to succeed... I already bent the hose clamps in my vice so it would fit over the Anything Cage nice and snug. Then realized I should be taking photos. :)

I took the thickest piece of rubber, cut it in half, and placed some Gorilla tape over it.

Image Image

Attach the rubber to the lower part of the Anything Cage to pad the cage against the fork leg.

The Trucker forks already have one boss about half way down the fork. I'll use that for the top of the cage and secure the bottom with the hose clamp.

Install the clamp snugly.

Using a pencil, I marked the clamp where the excess should be cut off. I also marked the area that contacts with the fork leg.

Trim off the excess clamp with some tin snips and sand down any sharp edges. I added a piece of tape where the clamp contacts the fork.

Image Image

Re-installed the clamp and repeated the process for the other side.

All done! I'll attach my Anything Bags, load them up, and ride around the 'hood tomorrow to test...

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:28 pm 
friendly kitty

Great post, thanks!
Am interested in these too, and if possible, would like to see them loaded.
Told they were designed for insulated Nalgene bottles, yet will hold just about anything, so naturally I'm curious.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 pm 
friendly kitty

I followed Marp's lead on the cages (I also got my set from Marp, so it makes sense). I wrapped my fork legs in an old road tube instead of making the little patches. I did that because I liked the way it looked. ;)

I also picked up an Anything bag from Salsa. I had to get more hose clamps, but I will get mine installed and loaded up to take out for a ride and take some pics. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:01 am 
big hucker

I did a three day bikepacking trip to Caprock Canyons and the mounted cages held up great!

Pics of the bike setup can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=1566&p=34972

It was really sturdy and I was glad to have the extra space for clothes (on one side) and camp shoes (on the other side).