HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm 
friendly kitty

My parents have this tree in their backyard that is looking like it's gonna have to be cut down. The left trunk has fallen into the fence and is touching the neighbors house. The trunk on the right has branched out about half way up and the top third looks dead.

Can it be saved or is it best to cut the whole thing down?

Attachments:
PDRM1676.JPG
PDRM1676.JPG [ 947.91 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]
PDRM1677.JPG
PDRM1677.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 450 times ]
PDRM1678.JPG
PDRM1678.JPG [ 986.4 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]
PDRM1679.JPG
PDRM1679.JPG [ 982.4 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm 
lil' hucker

With my tree experience, I would take down the 2 on the left and leave the one closet to the deck for now. looks like the area may be too wet for those trees.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:44 pm 
lil' hucker

Tree looks drunk. I would murder it with a chain saw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:55 pm 
friendly kitty

Thanks Norton! I shook the two on the right and they seem pretty solid, so I think we might try to save those. The one on the left looks like it's rotted and needs to come down. My dad want's to try and pull it off the fence with a come along strapped to the other two and then cut it down. After that we might see how it does for a bit, I don't know.

After we deal with this tree, I'm gonna have to convince them that having tree growing into the fence behind it is probably not a good idea. I think it's an invasive tree anyway.

Net, I think Norton's right, the soil needs to dry out, not the tree! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:47 am 
lil' hucker

Yeah, the base of that leaning tree looks like its rotting from where I'm sitting. Cut 'er down! A video of the operation could be fun. ;)
Or at least a GIF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 am 
lil' hucker

Wedge, the key to taking trees down is the overhanging weight. Take all the little branches off first, then move down the tree taking the bigger branches/top next. That tree could easily be done with a ladder and a pair of loppers. Once the tree is just a long trunk, you can cut it into small sections either with a hand saw or a chain saw.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 am 
friendly kitty

Mookie, I don't have a real video cam, just the regular camera that does crappy video. I think it'll go smoothly if I take Norton's advice and cut little bits off at a time instead of trying to pull the whole left side back in. I do like the idea of becoming funny gif fodder, lol! :D

We've got one of those saw-on-a-pole things and some regular cutters and a small electric chainsaw. We'll start at the top and work our way down until the rotted trunk is gone, then we'll assess the condition of the other two after that. Perhaps there's a way to remedy the problem that caused the one trunk to rot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 am 
lil' hucker

Lol, talk of saws and the come along elicited nothing but funny men at work moments for me! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 am 
lil' hucker

Mookie wrote:
Lol, talk of saws and the come along elicited nothing but funny men at work moments for me! :lol:

:naughty: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm 
friendly kitty

My mom and I made pretty quick work of putting the rotted part of the tree down. Still not sure about the other two trunks, weather we should leave 'em or cut 'em. I'm thinking we leave 'em and keep an eye on 'em and see how they do. I was thinking of attaching a rope or something to train the big one to grow a little straighter, but I could see the thing falling in a wind storm and taking the crappy deck with it, lol!

You can see the rot or whatever in the cut trunk. I shoulda left more trunk on for leverage, now I'll have to pry the rest of the stump out. It moves around pretty easily so it shouldn't be too hard to do. The middle tree looks pretty healthy, but since it's leaning away from the cluster pretty far it has me a bit worried. We cut the dead part off the funky bent trunk while we were at it.

Attachments:
PDRM1684.JPG
PDRM1684.JPG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]
PDRM1683.JPG
PDRM1683.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]
PDRM1682.JPG
PDRM1682.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]
PDRM1681.JPG
PDRM1681.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]
PDRM1680.JPG
PDRM1680.JPG [ 889.33 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm 
lil' hucker

I can see the rot. I would leave the stump as if it is one root ball for all 3 trees you might do more damage to the other trees by tearing the roots. Leaving the other two trees would be ok. Just see how they look next spring when they leaf out again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm 
lil' hucker

norton55 wrote:
I can see the rot. I would leave the stump as if it is one root ball for all 3 trees you might do more damage to the other trees by tearing the roots. Leaving the other two trees would be ok. Just see how they look next spring when they leaf out again.

A bit late to the party but from what I've read Norton has given sound advice. Korn, I'm glad you decided to try to save the remaining one. It's hard telling from the photos precisely but I think it's either an Aspen or a Birch tree. Both are great trees and a worth saving if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:50 am 
friendly kitty

Yup, big thanks Norton! It only took like an hour to cut it down. It would have gone viral if we'd have done it my dad's way with the camera rolling, lol!

Yah DJ, It's a Birch I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 am 
lil' hucker

Too bad we missed out on a viral video. :lol:
But sometimes the simplest solution is the best, dammit.

I bet the other 2 trunks survive, provided they're not rotting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 am 
lil' hucker

Birch trees have always been my favorite since I was a youngster. Something about that white bark that peels like paper really gets my juices flowing. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 am 
lil' hucker

I'm with you DJ. Birchs are cool and I like the aspens as well. I'll throw larches into the mix. You should see those things turn in the fall. Back in my WA days I'd hit some incredible scenes with the larches turning yellow. The only problem is that it seemed like they require somewhat colder temps to turn and so it was usually late in the season and one could potentially have to deal with some snow to see the good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:02 am 
lil' hucker

Mookie wrote:
I'm with you DJ. Birchs are cool and I like the aspens as well. I'll throw larches into the mix. You should see those things turn in the fall. Back in my WA days I'd hit some incredible scenes with the larches turning yellow. The only problem is that it seemed like they require somewhat colder temps to turn and so it was usually late in the season and one could potentially have to deal with some snow to see the good stuff.

Larches? You stumped me. Pretty rare thing to do on the topic of trees. Not impossible though. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:06 am 
lil' hucker

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Mookie wrote:

Larches? You stumped me. Pretty rare thing to do on the topic of trees. Not impossible though. ;)

I'm not sure what their range is but its probably in the northern latitudes. I've only run into them in WA. They're awesome in the fall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:08 am 
lil' hucker

Mookie wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Mookie wrote:

I'm not sure what their range is but its probably in the northern latitudes. I've only run into them in WA. They're awesome in the fall.

I'll s Google to see if I've seen them before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 am 
lil' hucker

Ahh yes very cool looking tree all colored up. Not sure if I have seen them. They only range far north. So maybe as a kid when we made trips to Canada.

Attachments:
IMG_5237.PNG
IMG_5237.PNG [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 370 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:56 am 
lil' hucker

Yeah, I bet there's some large areas with lots of larches in Canada. Part of what makes them unique is that although they are conifers they still turn in the fall. They really do look different than aspens and other broad leafed trees.