HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Anyone with a motorcycle has seen a kickstand foot for soft ground. Many have anyway. I was tired of my bike falling over in the wind when parked on the kickstand so I mad a bling diamond plate foot. All that is needed is a piece of diamond plate, aluminum, silver dollar, really thick beer can, etc. I had diamond plate.

Cut the material to your desired size. Drill a hole (I countersinked mine with a larger drill bit and used a conical seat screw for a flush installation) the size of the screw shaft.

Now for the fun part. Place the bike on the kickstand at rest. Make sure you have the kickstand cut to the length you want. Measure the thickness of your new to be installed foot. You will need a sharpie to mark the kickstand. Take your sharpie and mark the kickstand shaft in a circle off the floor (this gives you the right angle to cut). The easiest way to do this is to tape a spacer the thickness of your foot to the front part of the sharpie, then drag the spacer along the floor and let the tip of the sharpie mark the circumference of the shaft at a parallel angel to the floor. Cut this mark with a hack saw or similar exactly. If you did it right, your kickstand will be perfectly mated to a flat floor when the bike is parked on it.

Next, you need to drill a hole down the center of the kickstand shaft in line with the shaft its self. This will require a good center punch for the drill bit to follow for a start. I drilled mine twice to ensure it stayed straight, once in a smaller diameter and second in the proper diameter.

Now tap the hole with the threads of you screw. Screw it together. If your like me, you'll locktite the mess together as well with some blue threadlocker.

Park your bike and let the wind howl! It really helps on soft ground too.

[CENTER]Image
Image[/CENTER]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm 
bad kitty!

That's a good idea, and easy to do as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
friendly kitty

Excellent idea for my townie ...