HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: $55 DIY Bike Workstand
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:15 pm 
big hucker

I decided to build my own bike workstand. This blog is the one that inspired me:

DIY Portable Bike Repair Stand

The blog shows a lot of the step-by-step instructions. I'll just show what I did differently.

$7.97 - 3/4" x 24" Pipe
$13.97 - 3/4" Pipe Clamp
$4.00 - 1" Black Tee
$2.52 - 1" x 6" Nipple
$2.52 - 1" x 6" Nipple
$1.87 - 1" Split Ring Hanger
$1.04 - Thumb Screw
$1.18 - Two Hose Clamps
$20.00 - PA Stand (CraigsList)

$55.07 Total

Instead of using a mouse pad for the clamp padding, I used liquid electrical tape. This stuff is similar to plasti-dip but you can paint it on. I've painted the hooks for my car mounted bike rack to keep the metal from scratching the paint on my trunk. It worked very well. I used some softwood (cedar) for the camp heads and figure that should be soft enough to not damage the tubing. I won't crank it down with all of my might, anyway...

On his blog, several people had problems fitting the 3/4" pipe into the 1" pipe due to the weld seam on the inside of the 1" pipe. I had the same issue. I wrapped some sandpaper around a paint roller extension and sanded down the inside of the 1" pipe. Quick and worked well.

The 1" pipe was a bit too large diameter for the PA stand I had. I drilled three 3/8" holes in the neck, slotted them to the end, and used hose clamps (instead of rivets) to secure the head assembly to the stand. This way I can re-use the stand for other stuff (holding a fan, set of lights, or whatever) when I'm not working on a bike.

To keep the 3/4" pipe from rotating, I used a 1" split-ring hanger and a thumb screw.

The pipe clamp I bought came with a spring that you can thread onto the end of the 3/4" pipe to keep it from pulling all the way out. I used pliers to bend the ends of the ring upwards to make it easier to install and remove.

A few other detail photos before painting...

Teardown, masked and painted...

Completed build pics...

Holding up the heavy Yukon...

Folded up...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm 
lil' hucker

Looks good Marp. Now you just need to make a fitting to mount your cam onto it for filming if you wanted to. Just a suggestion. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 pm 
stealth kitty

*LIGHTBULB*

Your workstand just gave me a great idea for the lathe bar support I wanna build. :D

Thanks for the inspiration Marp!

-S

mmm bacon.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Shibiwan/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm 
big hucker

HUTCH wrote:
Looks good Marp. Now you just need to make a fitting to mount your cam onto it for filming if you wanted to. Just a suggestion. ;)

I do have a time-lapse photo app. Maybe I'll set it up during the next overhaul. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm 
big hucker

Shibiwan wrote:
*LIGHTBULB*

Your workstand just gave me a great idea for the lathe bar support I wanna build. :D

Thanks for the inspiration Marp!

-S

Pics when you're done!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:42 pm 
grumpeh kitty!

I made one similar to this a couple years ago, from the same blog article Marp listed.

I was able to get all the parts from the list in the blog for about $35-40. The only parts I had to buy were the PA/speaker tripod ($25), the 3/4" pony (pipe) clamp ($6), and the black & galvanized pipe pieces (forgot how much, but <$10).

Like Marp's, the tripod's extension tube was too narrow to accept the vertical 1" pipe piece from the t-fitting. And when I took out the extension tube, the main tripod tube was too wide. So I bought a 3-ft piece of 1" pipe and a length of 3" single-wall shrink tubing. I heated the shrink tubing over the unthreaded part of the long 1" pipe and it brought the outside diameter to perfectly fit into the main tripod tube. I just drilled holes through the 1" pipe+ shrink tubing every 6" to accept the pin used in adjusting the height.

So adding in the unanticipated parts, this cost me about $50. Certainly could have been cheaper if I knew someone with scrap pipe or clamps and looked for a speaker stand on Craigslist. Probably could have been $25 or less, total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 pm 
big hucker

^^^ Are you using a seat post clamp to adjust the rotation? Can I see a close up shot of that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:12 pm 
grumpeh kitty!

marpilli wrote:
^^^ Are you using a seat post clamp to adjust the rotation? Can I see a close up shot of that?

Yes I am, like the guy in the blog did. I haven't shimmed it so it really needs to be wound down tight, but it does support the bike at gravity-defying angles.

I don't have a pic so I'll have to go take one.

edit: And the red thing at the end is just a painted pipe cap I screw on to keep the 3/4" horizontal piece from sliding out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
big hucker

What diameter is the clamp? I'd like something more sturdy than what I'm currently using.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 am 
lurkin' kitty

That is pretty sweet, but for $50 I bought a hardly used Park stand at the local pawn shop. I am all for DIY and this is a very good project, but I'll keep the hours at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm 
big hucker

hrothgarbike wrote:
That is pretty sweet, but for $50 I bought a hardly used Park stand at the local pawn shop. I am all for DIY and this is a very good project, but I'll keep the hours at this point.

If you happen to find another $50 hardly used Park stand, let me know. I'll reimburse you the $50 and pay shipping. ;)