HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
big hucker

I have a spare fork that I bought awhile back and am just now getting time to overhaul it (2002'ish RockShox SID SL). I noticed it's starting to wear the stanchions at the bushings so I'd like to replace the bushings. But, this is something I've never done.

While the bushings are cheap (about $15 for the set), the actual RockShox tools to remove and replace the bushings will cost me over $100 and that doesn't include the parts I can't find (bushing install sleeves).

I measured the inside of the lowers (not the inside of the bushings) and it was about 30.5mm. I found a washer that was larger than that, secured the washer to a bolt with a nut, and chucked the bolt into my drill. While spinning the washer I laid it on a coarse file and started shaving down the washer. I'd stop every now and then to see how much more I had to go. Once I had it down to 30mm, I used my bench grinder to flatten it on each side. Finished by sanding off any burrs.

Put it on a long piece of all-thread and put a smaller washer behind it just to add some stiffness.

Fits nicely into the lowers...

Secure the other end of the all thread into a vice. Tap, tap, tap at the top of the lowers with a rubber mallet.

Out comes the upper bushing...

Out comes the lower bushing...

Overall, they came out much easier than I had anticipated.

The top bushing was flush with the lip of the lower and I took the measurement of the lower bushing (from the lip) before removing it.